35 Whelen help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

35 Whelen help

So, I picked up a 35 Whelen from another member on here this summer. It's a really nice gun, but I'm having problems getting consistent groups. First off, it's a 700BDL that I mounted with an old Bushnell scope I had laying around. I tried the Rem factory loads and they won't group tighter than 5-6". I just picked up a box of the federal 200gr tonight to give a try this weekend. So this isn't a closed case yet.

My question is, does anyone else have any experience with this caliber/gun? I got it thinking that this might be my long range deer gun as the largest thing I have to this point is a 308(not really I have a 45-70 but that's short range). But with the groupings I'm seeing to this point I'm leery about even trying 200yrds for fear I'd have problems keeping them on the paper. The only other factory round I can find locally is the Hornady Superperformance, I am going to stay away from that as I loath ballistic tips for big game(I hunt to eat, not look at big holes where meat used to be). My worry is that even handloading might not get it to where I want it. BTW, I was planning on zeroing this for 200yrds with the expectation of using it out to 300.

Oh, and before anyone asks if it's me, no. I've been shooting it off a rest and I'm shooting it no different than any of my other rifles. Depending if they are scoped or open sights they all group fine. Two weeks ago I took a couple out to the range. I put the Whelen in the middle. Everything before and after grouped as I expected. So it's not me.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 35 Whelen help

First thing I would do is make sure the barrel is clean. Then I would put a scope on it that I know is good, and verify rings and bases are aligned and tight. Then I would bed/float it. I have seen 5" rifles go to 1 1/2" rifles just by bedding the recoil lug area and cleaning up the contact points on the barrel.

Double check your info on the Hornady ammo. I am sure Hornady (a bullet manufacturing company) would not load Ballistic Tips in their ammo. Even if they did, Nosler doesnt even make a 35 caliber Ballistic tip any more. Even if they did, a Ballistic Tip will not necessarily cause any more meat damage then alot of other bullets shot under the same conditions.

Good luck, Tony
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I'll check the bedding tonight. I've never had this kind of problem with a factory gun. Maybe I just got lucky in the past.

The boxes on the Hornady were marked as ballistic tip. BTW, I work at a friends processing shop, so I see the carnage. A guy brought in a deer that had been shot with(I think) the Hornady ammo. Blew the bottom half of the chest clean off. There was so much shock from the round that both front shoulders were lost as well. And that was only out of an '06.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, it's not the barrel... Unless the fact that the sling stud seams to be threaded right to the barrel would make a difference. There is plenty of room between the stock and the barrel to slide a piece of paper in and run it up and down. Except where the stud is

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW
Ok, it's not the barrel... Unless the fact that the sling stud seams to be threaded right to the barrel would make a difference. There is plenty of room between the stock and the barrel to slide a piece of paper in and run it up and down. Except where the stud is
Most likely its not the stud, its just a high spot on the stock.

Quote:
The boxes on the Hornady were marked as ballistic tip. BTW, I work at a friends processing shop, so I see the carnage. A guy brought in a deer that had been shot with(I think) the Hornady ammo. Blew the bottom half of the chest clean off. There was so much shock from the round that both front shoulders were lost as well. And that was only out of an '06.
Sounds like he hit it with a snow plow, not a bullet!

http://www.hornady.com/store/35-Whel...Superformance/

http://www.hornady.com/store/searcha...249&categoryid[0]=256&categoryid[1]=299&categoryid[2]=&page=1

I dont see any 30-06, Whelen, or any other caliber Hornady ammo using Ballistic Tips??? Why would a bullet manufacturer like Hornady, or any other, use a competitor's bullet in there own loaded ammo???

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Two things come to mind:
1) a fouled barrel
2) a bad scope

My buddy's barrel was fouled and started spraying the target. Several cleanings and it's back on target.

I have put a couple scopes I "had laying around" on guns only to find they were faulty.

Good Luck
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Well, your right. Stud is not attached to the barrel. Odd that that is the one place that it's touching. I'll have to tear it down and see what's going on.

I was mistaken which scope I put on it, it's a Simmons. I know it's not the scope, it's not loosing POI or having to be readjusted, and it was fine on my 22mag last summer. I just wanted to upgrade. Not to say that with the increased recoil it's a different story. Trouble is I can't afford to go out and get a new Leopold. I will look at the rings again, after all they are the Leopold one piece which I've read are a pain.

Before I go out this weekend I'll stop and pick up some copper solvent and give it a good cleaning and see if that helps.

IDK, I'm not about to spend $35 to find out whats in the box. The only bullets listed on the back are the SST and Interbond, which are both pictured as ballistic tips. They could be the FTX, but that is basically a ballistic tip too.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What you describe is almost always bad scope/ or scope mounting. A 35 Whelen will knock the daylights out of that old Simmons, comparing to the 22 mag is no comparison.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Well, your right. Stud is not attached to the barrel. Odd that that is the one place that it's touching. I'll have to tear it down and see what's going on.
Not odd at all. Most manufacture's leave a preasure point on the stock. I would not think that is causing your 5" groups.

Quote:
IDK, I'm not about to spend $35 to find out whats in the box. The only bullets listed on the back are the SST and Interbond, which are both pictured as ballistic tips. They could be the FTX, but that is basically a ballistic tip too.
All of those bullets are loaded into ammo by Hornady. But; none of those bullets are Ballistic Tips, only Nosler makes Ballistic Tips. Hornady and other bullet makers have bullets that have a polymer tip like a Ballistic Tip. Im sure the loaded ammo is not the FXP, that leaves the 200gr and 250gr Interlock SP. Click on the links, they show the bullets and ammo available.

http://www.hornady.com/store/.358-35-CAL

http://www.hornady.com/store/35-Whelen-ammo

Good luck, Tony
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
What you describe is almost always bad scope/ or scope mounting. A 35 Whelen will knock the daylights out of that old Simmons, comparing to the 22 mag is no comparison.
You nailed it, Joe...Put a proven scope on, mounted properly, and the OP's problem will disappear...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page