Shotgun & Slugs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shotgun & Slugs

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I currently don't have my own shotgun (but am hoping to purchase one soon), so in the meantime, I've been borrowing one from my dad. Neither of us know too much about it, but I was curious on shooting slugs from it. I live in Allegheny County, PA and if I plan on deer hunting this year during the gun season, I'll need it. All I can get from the gun is it's a "Remington Model 1100 - 12 GA for 2 3/4in. shells". Its a semi-auto, and says "Mod." towards the back of the barrel. I guess I'm just curious on if I can shoot slugs through it, and if so, is there a particular kind?? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Shotgun & Slugs

The "mod" is the choke. You should be able to shoot any regular slugs. Don't waste your money on sabots. Try the Lightfields.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hmmm.. I took a quick look and could not find it, but I am wondering if an autoloading shotgun is legal for hunting deer?

The digest mentions the prohibition on autoloading handguns and rifles for deer, but what about an autoloader shotgun??

I am sure someone on this site will know and post the info within a grouse flush...

No problem shooting 2 3/4 inch slugs through a modified choke.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
The Man

If its a smooth bore you will want to use rifled slugs.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The green& yellow Remington 12 ga 2 3/4 inch slugs will work fine.

If you have a rib on the top of the barrel it is easy to add a pair or front and rear sights to it. Try Dick'e or Big Buck on route 910 not far from your.

Adding sights will let you sight it in and make sure it is hitting where you are looking. If you need a place to shoot it and don't belong to one of the sportsmen's clubs in your area...try the game lands rand #203 on Game land Road, off route 910.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Regular Visitor

I dont mean to burst your bubble, but the semi shotgun would be against the rules anywhere in PA. Your in the clear to hunt ohio though! You need to check the pa hunting manual, and you may also call the game commission headquarters and ask.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Autoloading shotguns are legal in special regulations areas.That includes Allegheny county.Check the top of page 81 in the book.You can't use buckshot in Allegheny county but in the other special regulation areas you can.Make sure they are 2 and 3/4 slugs you buy.Not trying to insult you just making sure you know.Don't try stuffing a 3 inch or 3 and 1/2 in there.Slugs will shoot out of a modified choke easily,I know I have done it.The only real problem I see is if the gun only has a bead on the end and no rifle sights or a scope you will be disappointed.You may have a hard time with accuracy.Anyhow I wish you luck and be safe.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! Yeah, I'll try and get some sights on it. I'm gonna check at Dicks and Big Bucks as mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page