Scope mounting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Scope mounting

Just watched a few videos on youtube about how to properly mount a scope. I have a feeling the gun store that I got my gun from didnt go through all the trouble they do in the videos to mount my scope since one side of the scope has a gap between where the mounts touch and the other side is touching. Just wondering if anyone actually goes through all the trouble with the levels and torque wrenches on there scope. Its a brand new Tikka 7mm08 stainless with a nikon 5 scope and would like it set up perfect so I dont have to worry about it again and them not spacing the gap on each side I will always notice from here until forever now so Im probably gonna have to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM
The Man

Re: Scope mounting

I do, plus I lap them. Optics is very important and most people don't know how. If you ever go on a custom gunsmiths website and look at what they charge to mount a scope the right way you can understand. On flip side most people would not pay for this service.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yep, I lap the rings and use a torque wrench on the mounting screws along with squaring things up with a level.
If you want to get the most out of your rifle it's something you want to do. Now if your long shots will be 75yds......then not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

A great way to do this is a FAT Wrench from Wheeler (doesn't have the bits for those stock Tikka rings, though...I mounted two scopes on Tikka's, and those rings drive me batty) and a Segway Scope reticle leveler. Those two tools take a huge chunk of frustration out of mounting scopes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.... will be looking into getting the tools or finding someone to mount it properly...would rather it just be done right the first time and be done with it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page