My next project - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

My next project

I purchased these parts, minus the remington 700 barreled action, to build a new rifle. The stock is a Bell & Carlson M40 style with the aluminum chassis. The scope is a Vortex HS-T 4-16x-44mm. I also bought a set of Vortex low rings to mount on a Leupold MK 4 base. I have a new barrel on order from Krieger chambered in 7MM-08, 1/9.5 twist, 24", and the remington varmint contour. The barrel won't be ready till early next year. I'm also having a Kampfeld bolt knob installed. For this hunting season I'll use my Bell & Carlson sporter stock and the new scope. I did have to bed the rail when I installed it, a little high in the rear when the front hardware was tightened. I'm thinking of a matte black finish to the metal down the road.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: My next project

Outstanding, Keep us updated. I have always been a fan of the webbing on the b and c stocks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Nice! Ought to make a great platform to launch AMAX's or VLD's and really reach out.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: My next project (Update)

I mounted the scope then the barreled action to the new stock, the one pictured. Decided to try it out last week. I was impressed with the results. The 6 o'clock group was 3/8" at 100 yards, the 12 o"clock was just under 5/8". The center is my final adjustments before the 12 and 6 o"clock strings.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Part of the Community

Looks good. I just pulled my B&C M40 off the mill after relieving the recoil lug area and down the sides to help with strengthening the bedding job.
S/F
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I much prefer the M40 style over the medalist. The stock sporter barrel looks a little thin sitting in the stock. My Krieger won't be done till spring.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Part of the Community

This is the first rifle I built myself. I used a Brux medium Palma barrel. In the future, I plan to build most rifles that customers want heavier profiled barrels with Sendero/Rem Varmint contour blanks. The Sendero is a good balance of size to weight and fits nearly every stock well. Are you fitting the barrel to the receiver yourself? You might try having your current setup accurized while you wait on your Krieger barrel. It's amazing how much you can improve with just truing the action and bolt and re-crowning. If you aren't doing the gunsmithing yourself, the 'smith that's going to do your barrel might as well true your action now and re-set your headspace to minimum tolerance with the barrel you have. Makes no difference financially whether you pay to have it trued now and enjoy it that way for a while or wait to have it done when you get the new barrel. The only additional cost should be whatever you're charged for re-crowning of the old barrel ($45-$55 is typical). Just a few thoughts from a fellow Jarhead.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

They are going to true the action and bolt. They are installing the barrel as well. I plan on sending it after deer season. Semper Fi

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Part of the Community

Ever finish this up?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I have this just about done. Waiting for a Timney 510 trigger for it. Had the barreled reciever, floorplate/guard, and bolt refinished a flat black by John Norrell Arms. I had Short Action Customs install a Kampfeld campfire bolt knob. Purchased the Harris bipod recently as well. It was a long project but am just about there. Can't wait to shoot it.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page