new but old .22 won't fire! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

new but old .22 won't fire!

this is the bolt assembly from my mossy no 42. it fired one round and that was it. too it home to inspect it and this is what i noticed. the local gunsmiths said to toss it and buy a new gun but i kinda like the older ones! lol any other ideas why it would not fire?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Sage

Re: new but old .22 won't fire!

The firing pin in those is a long thin piece of metal with a thinner extended portion. I have one - it stopped firing as well - tip of the pin broke off.

Gun Parts Inc has them from time to time. I did find them on a general internet search not long ago. These are remanufactured.

These guns are shooters! Shouldn't take a barrel of money to get it going again.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

ok and how hard is it to change the pin out? and had it all apart but can't figure out how to get the pin out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

numrich gun parts?

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Dont listen to that Gunsmith.
http://www.havlinsales.com/ for parts
And for lots of info,
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php under Mossbergs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
RS
Frequent Contributor

This may help narrow down which specific Mossberg Model 42,

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

Like was mentioned, I would first look at Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corporation), here is their site,

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=324

If it was me, I would look for another gunsmith too.

Most likely a worn down or broken firing pin, or a broken spring. Good luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i just made a suggestion.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Once upon a time, a long time ago, my cousin came to camp from Erie PA. He was 12 years old and was going to hunt with his dad's Winchester 30-30 rifle.

Now I don't know all the particulars, but I would bet that he was dry firing the gun and the firing pin broke.

When they took it to the rifle range to sight it in, it would not shoot.

I don't remember for sure - because it was 28 years ago, but i think that my dad might have took it apart and found that the firing pin was broke.

Murphy's law says that anything bad that can happen, will - and at the most inopportune time. Sunday afternoon before deer season.

Well I had been in some situations before and I made friends with a local gunsmith that was retired. At that time, he was in his 80's and lived with his wife on the edge of town.

When I knocked on his door, he welcomed me in.
In his possession was a bunch of old derelict guns, some of which I am sure were Mossberg .22 rifles.

When I showed him our situation, he took the gun apart and found the broken part. He said - well I would like to help you, but to fix your problem, I would need to be able to silver solder the new pin in the old assembly and I am out of Mapp gas.

Well the grandfather of the boy with the broken rifle was a Appliance Repairman and in the back of his van - low and behold was a complete welding torch assembly - with Mapp Gas.

The Gunsmith was a good machinist and he ground the old firing pin down to the larger part and then he put the larger part in a lathe and he drilled a hole the same size as the firing pin through the broken piece.

He then took a drill bit and fit it inside of the old piece and silver soldered it in. Then he ground it down until it was the proper length and test fired it with several dummy rounds.

When he got the depth set properly - the gun was fixed - probably better then new.

He refused to take any money, even though he worked on that rifle for a couple of hours and used his own tools and his own drill bits and his own silver solder..

So the moral of this story is - although the gun is broke - sometimes the cost to fix it will be more then what it is worth, unless you can find someone to fix it for you that is willing to repair it at a reduced rate.

The last machine shop I worked for charged $65 a hour!

Your picture is blurry, but if I see what I think I see - the gun is junk and you should throw it away.

It looks to me as if there was a crack developing on the side of the body of the bolt. Just below your thumb nail on the opposite side of the bolt.

I can't diagnose your rifles problems over the internet - but I'm not sure that the hammer part that is above the firing pin is supposted to be in contact with the firing pin until after the striker is dropped..

If it was a Steven's - you could turn the knob on the end of the bolt and the striker would touch the firing pin.

Here is a link for replacement parts..

http://www.gun-parts.com/mossberg/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester75
Dont listen to that Gunsmith.
http://www.havlinsales.com/ for parts
And for lots of info,
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php under Mossbergs.
yeah i took your advice and found a smith who is gonna make a new pin for me and i really don't plan on getting rid of it since it was the same type of gun my father was supposed to have handed down to me before he died. at least that is what i gathered from the old photos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page