45-70 in a new old style gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

45-70 in a new old style gun

The mods. may want to move this to the reloading forum... It's kinda half and half.

So I have a Pedersoli Sharps reproduction that I find an absolute blast to shoot. Problem lately is either no one has ammo or they want $50 a box. I finally got set up to reload last winter, I saved all my brass, so I guess it's time to buy some 45-70 dies.

Here's where the trouble begins.

I looked up online for loading data and found references to "trapdoor", "lever" and "modern" rifles. I understand what they're doing with the Trapdoor loads, as they were designed to shoot black powder. Question is since this gun is new manufacture(i've had it for about 10 years) can I get away with full power loads, even though it's an old design. My thought was that action is built like a brick outhouse, you could probably throw some +P loads in it and it wouldn't flinch(although I might). I've had good luck with the Remington 300gr HP hunting, but they pattern like a shotgun. I'd like to work up something a little stouter, maybe with the Hornady FTX, but I don't want to blow this beautiful gun to kingdom come. Thoughts?

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM
The Man

Re: 45-70 in a new old style gun

Start at the low end of the lever rifle data....a 45/70 does not rely upon velocity to kill....there is no point in hotrodding it....those big bullets punch big holes and with proper hits destroy little meat....I would go with the 405 Remington at 1300-1400 fps and be happy....or the 350 Hornady at 1600-1700....I think you'll find accuracy nodes at those levels....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have been in such a snarky mood last night.

I didn't mean to imply I wanted to max load anything. Just that I didn't know which loads to pay attention to, and my thought was this gun could take anything you dropped in it. My bigger concern is if the gun can handle the stouter loads without any major problems or long term damage.

As a side note, I'll never use those 405gr Remington's for anything other than target shooting or brass donors. While they do shoot good I shot one deer with them and refused to ever use them again for hunting. I double lung'd a doe and she ran 2-300 yards. Only reason I found her was because she piled up right in front of my dad. Round went through without expanding or causing any damage.

Since then I've wanted to find a load that I could shoot target or hunting with and not worry about switching back and forth.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 PM
The Man

I've killed several deer with the 350 Hornady running close to 2000 fps out of both a Guide Gun and a Browning High Wall...it is absolutely devastating with huge exit holes...they don't move....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page