New custom rifle arrived today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
The Man

New custom rifle arrived today

I took the advise from members on this board for a new custom build. Most of the time I use a guy from the west coast that has always treated me right. A few years ago I was having die trouble with a custom wildcat I had built. I seen where members on here was talking highly of Bob Green from York. I called him and he knew what I needed and took care of me I was very impressed dealing with him. I decided a few months ago I wanted to play with a 6mmx47 Laupa. I called Bob if he had the reamer and he did. I sent him down a small deposit, action, new Brux barrel, and stock. He replied he received and get to it in order it was received. Today I went to post office and had a bill from him for balance and im thinking okey I send check he sends gun. I had a yellow card which means I had something that wouldn't fit in mail box. I give clerk the card and he hands me a gun case. I can not believe this man really not knowing me sent my gun to me with out payment. Guess im trying to say is that Bob Green is one fine gentleman to do business with. I thank my fellow members on this site for referring him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New custom rifle arrived today

How about some specs of your rifle?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
The Man

6mm x47 Laupa
Rem 700 action Blue Printed, recoil lug ground
Brux 8 twist #3 23" target crown
Trigger honed to 1.5 lb.
Rem classic wood stock bedded and floated.
Barrel painted black, wanted it to be a knock about woods rifle, look factory, shoot like a benchgun.
Smithed and stocked by Bob Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM

Bob does great work. You will be pleased even more when you see how well it shoots. My 6x47L likes h4895 with 95 gr bullets. Mines a 10 twist though.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 AM

I know Bob well, shoot with him occasionally. Not keen about his personality, but his work is first class. What I really like is when he says "I can have it for you in 2 weeks" (or whatever), you can expect him to call on that date. One well known smith in the same area said he could build me a rifle in 3 months. It took him 16 months to finish the job. He slipped his favorite customers in ahead of me. Mr. Green does not do that.

benchrest
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Only talked to him a few times I could tell he was busy and I understand that being in business myself. Seemed okey though and I know a lot of good gunsmiths don't care to shoot the bull or hear hunting storys. I just heard of so many on here talk good about his work. I know some of his emails was pretty short and to the point.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds like a real nice package. you should nickname her Sleeper
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have quite a few, they are my passion. I heard the 47's accuracy is awesome and you leave the rest of todays world making it an efficient hunting caliber. For years I was on the band wagon you had to have high vel. to do anything. In todays world with the technology of high bc bullets and theory of fast twist barrels its a new ball game. Back in the late 80's I was going for my first varm. rifle build I was told a theory that how true I realize today. Many now days might not of never heard of this guy but I was using Seely Masker from out of New York for a build. Seely at the time was a top bench rest gunsmith known as the " Great Gunsmith ". WE became friends but many refered to him a a grouchy old man due to his bed side manner but just came off that way. I was wanting a 22-250 ai or a Swift for a build. He recommended a tight neck 243 I in turn said no way want something faster. His reply and now sticks with me " Son, high velocity doesn't kill woodchucks at 500 yards but my accurate rifles do " I got back in to groundhog hunting this year and thought of that comment of how true. I took quite a few this year and most averaged 500 yards. It was almost like shooting ducks on a pond. I was shooting a rifle that groups in the 2's and 3's with a higher bc bullet made it that easy. I remember well in the late 70's with my first 22-250 shooting the 52 grainer out of a factory 14 twist the challenge was to take a pig at 500 you was a somebody.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

A buddy of mine had a similar rifle built (a few variations, but same receiver work and chambering as yours). He's frustrated with it....lol....he keeps getting just a sliver of white paper between the large hole 4 shots go in and the one "out" from the 5 shot group.

Bet you're gonna love that rifle. Congrats!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM

The guy can build rifles about on the level of most of the best of the best, only thing holding him back may be the level of his equipment compared to those that have million dollar shops but I've seen plenty of them shoot under benchrest conditions and they all shot extremely well and it didn't make any difference what chamber they were cut for. My only question is why would you go through all that work and expense and not put in an awesome trigger !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page