35 Whelen - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

35 Whelen

So, since I'm at work and our lovely web filter won't let me do any research... Got to thinking about buying a 35 whelen, but wasn't sure what manufacturers still chambered it. I'm to the point in my life that I want to start getting "fine" firearms. By that I mean I don't necessarily need to go out and buy a Savage or Stoeger, even though I like both. I don't plan on buying anything overly expensive, like a Browning, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion if they have a 35.

Ideally, I'd be looking for a bolt action with wood stock, but I'm debating if I should be looking at a standard "hunting" barrel or something a bit heavier.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: 35 Whelen

I have a Model 70 in 35 Whelen. Here it is with a buck I killed in South Carolina last fall:

Here's a group it gave me yesterday at 200 yards (low left shot was from a different group):

That rifle began life as a Model 70 Classic DBM-S (Detachable Box Magazine-Synthetic). I had worked on the plastic stock it was in, but a plastic stock is a plastic stock, so I sold it off along with the trigger guard and detachable mags and put a standard internal magazine on it and put it in a McMillan stock. I also had it rebored by JES Reboring to 35 Whelen. So....it's "semi custom", but it didn't break the bank, really.

So far I killed that deer and a buck here in PA with the rifle, and it's a hammer. I'm shooting 250gr Speer HotCor's at 2530-2550fps using IMR4320. It makes big holes in things.

When I shoot steel plates at the rifle range (they have gongs out at 200 and 300 yards), there is an easily discernible difference in the hit when the Whelen's rounds get there as compared to my 270, 30-06, etc. It's just very....authoritative. Nothing against the 06 or 270. Love them both and have used both a lot. I am very, very fond of my Whelen, though.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can get a nice Remington 700 CDL chambered in the Whelen. Or you might like to take a look at the 100th anniversary of the 375H&H. It's around 400 bucks more than the Whelen so that might scratch that idea. lol. The Whelen is a great round, but in my opinion the 375 is one of the best all around med/big bore chamberings. It's always fun shopping...I mean researching a new gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok, let's clear the air here for a minute. Just so everyone knows, I will NEVER own any rifle with "mag" in it. Sorry, not trying to be a snob, but I will never be going to hunt griz and there isn't anything in the lower 48 that needs a magnum cartridge, in my opinion.

TDD, what did you have into the rebore? That was something else on my radar, picking up(say) a cheap Savage in 06 and changing the barrel and dressing it up with a nice stock. Figured it was probably 6 one way half dozen the other price wise to buying a new gun.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOz
You can get a nice Remington 700 CDL chambered in the Whelen.
A beautiful rifle. I always wanted one. There was one in a shop in Hughesville. I looked at it every time I went in there. I'm glad someone bought it before I got too weak to resist.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM

I have a 7600 in 35 Whelen, not a bolt, but I'd put it up against any bolt action. It really packs a 250 gr Hornady SP in tight.

Alrighty then!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Don't discount the idea of a rebore. The cost to have that done is $225. Think about that. I've seen M700's and M70's for comfortably under $500 if one is patient. All you need is one in 30-06 or 270, very common calibers, and have JES ream it to 35 Whelen. Getting one for $450 is no hard trick, add $225 and you're at $675, and you will have a cut-rifled barrel to boot. Mine shoots as I posted above....at or just under MOA at 200 yards.

That's no small job to accomplish. The longer you reach, the harder MOA is to attain. Putting 3 rounds like that group, inside 1.7", is good for ANY hunting rifle. Many claim medium bores can't do it. That rifle has shot under 2" before at 200 yards, so it's no fluke. And it is chucking a 250gr bullet in excess of 2500fps. There isn't much hunting in North America a rifle with that accuracy and potency can't do.

But don't write off reboring. Find a good 06 for a good price, have it made a Whelen, and you're in business.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
gia
Banned

I too have a Remington 7600 in 35 whelan. Got it the first year offered in the 7600. Awesome gun. Shot sub MOA at 100 yards but that no big deal. Things don't run away when touched with the 250 grain animal it lets fly. Killed many dee and a few bear and not one ever took more than a few steps after being hit. I really like the round...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I've been poking around since I got home, the CDL is discontinued. Can't find any other manufacturers that still chamber it. Looks like my options are find a used one, convert an old '06 or buy the junky H&R/Rossi single shots. The last one is out, so now I have some digging to do. I do have a real problem messing around with a mod70, don't ask me why. Leaning towards picking up a used Savage and rebarreling it and putting a nice Boyd's stock under it.

I'm thinking this should be a winter project.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM

I have a Remington 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. It's accurate and I've taken 3 bears with it in Canada. The 225 gr Accubond at 2700 fps puts a bear down very nicely.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page