Is my Remington 788 a carbine? I want another. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Is my Remington 788 a carbine? I want another.

I know the Remington 788 came in a carbine that was a 18.5 inch barrel and a 22 inch barrel.

I have an old family 788 in .308 win and it should probably be retired. It still drives tacks, but the sling post on front is pulling out if the stock and its just generally seen better days.

I love the gun however and want to find the same one. So I measured my 788 and the barrel seems to be about 20.5 inches from where I think I should measure?

Can anyone post a pic on where to measure from on the receiver? The factory site is still on mine so I doubt it was ever cut.

I'm hoping to trade some guns or bulk ammo for another but I want the same barrel length preferably.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Is my Remington 788 a carbine? I want another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle31490
So I measured my 788 and the barrel seems to be about 20.5 inches from where I think I should measure? measure?

Can anyone post a pic on where to measure from on the receiver? The factory site is still on mine so I doubt it was ever cut.

Thanks!
Barrel length is measured from the closed locked breach face to the muzzle or any permanently attached device, brake, flash hider, etc.

The simple way, close and lock the bolt, insert a wooden dowel or cleaning rod in the muzzle then push in until it stops. Mark the dowel or rod, pull it out then measure the length to the mark.

Bill
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Good idea. Thanks!

Hoping to find a mechanically sound 788 in .308 to replace the old girl with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Using the cleaning rod worked good! Its def a 22 inch. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle31490
I know the Remington 788 came in a carbine that was a 18.5 inch barrel and a 22 inch barrel.

I have an old family 788 in .308 win and it should probably be retired. It still drives tacks, but the sling post on front is pulling out if the stock and its just generally seen better days.

Thanks!
Why retire the old one?

The sling sling swivel stud is a easy fix. If its the course wood screw type a couple toothpicks and some waterproof wood glue it will make it like new. If its a machine thread (10-32) then inlet a hex nut. I forget which they use....its been a while since I worked on one.

If it drives tacks you're not going to find one any better, only one that's worse. Price wise, some think they're made of gold and owned by a past president. They're not and its a 99.99% chance it wasn't.

The stock? It can be brought back to life, read the sticky on stock refinishing.

If you absolutely 100% have to have a longer barrel get it rebarreled. Until you spend the bucks for a used relic you'll have a better piece of pipe at roughly the same cost. Its pretty much a no brainer.

Bill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I likely will fix the sling post at some point.

The real reason I don't want to tamper with it is because its a bit of an heirloom. My grandfather bought it new, handed it down to my father, whom handed it down to me. I'm torn if fixing it up takes somethin away from it. I'd like to give it to my son in about 15 years so I don't know. The many scratches in the stock have lots of stories behind them, many of which I only could wish I know.

I guess I'm afraid to continue using it. It holds a lot of sentimental value.

I should keep it usable though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page