Ruger m77 compact - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Ruger m77 compact

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a rifle in .243 cal, I was looking at the ruger m77 compact in grey laminate and stainless! Just wondering if any of y'all have one and what you can tell me about them? I know a few people with the regular m77 they shoot very well and look very nice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 AM
RB
Sage

Re: Ruger m77 compact

My wife loves hers in 7mm-08...tack driver with 140 gr core lokts.

I will say if you are bigger framed and going to shoot it you should set the scope forward some. This one bit me once on the bench, set up for her, not me. Also a compact scope may help. As far as accuracy, in PA hunting situations it is perfect. The barrel is short so accuracy waaaayyy out there might suffer but this ain't beanfield hunting.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 AM

Check out the Ruger American compact also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 PM

I just bought a ruger american compact in 223 and it shoots very nice ,, even with just bulk ammo i am very happy ,, about 2 inch group with bulk ammo and a nikon prostaff scope ( 150 dollar scope )
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
dce
Sage

I think they're nice rifles and they generally shoot very well.Personally,I wouldn't buy one though.I don't think they're all that light for a compact rifle and the triggers are terrible.I bought a 77/22 and a 77/17 hornet in the past year.The triggers were beyond bad.I had the .17 hornet fixed and the .22 is next as soon as I can get a hold of the guy to fix it.

Two summers ago I was in the market for a compact .243 for my 7 year old son and looked hard at the Ruger.In the end,I picked up a compact model 7.My son shot it well and between the two of us,we killed 8 deer with it in the last two years.I like the rem but the stock is way too short for an average sized adult to use comfortably.A few months ago,I put a Bell and Carlson medalist stock on it and it it's much better to shoot.My 9 year old started shooting all of my other rifles and I plan on letting my 16 year old daughter use the .243 this year.They both shoot it fine with a full sized stock.One nice thing about the Rem is that you can get bigger stocks much easier.With the Ruger,you're pretty much stuck with what you bought.It is a pretty rifle though.

I'd buy a Ruger American before I'd buy a compact model 77.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the info ladies and gents!! I ended up buying a m77 mark ii stainless in 280 rem wish me luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a frontier (same as m77 compact but with a forward scope mount option)have a leupold fixed 2.5 with a german post

It's a great rifle and shoots moa with Federal Fusion .308 and better with handloads. It does bark a bit both recoil and noise wise with the 16" bbl but a great lightweight brush gun for sure.

You'd be happy with the 77.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight7
Thanks for the info ladies and gents!! I ended up buying a m77 mark ii stainless in 280 rem wish me luck
id like to hear how she shoots! I have a ruger 77 sporter stainless and with the grey laminate stock and I cant get it to shoot under an inch even with handloads, it shoots the cor lokts good enough for deer but I think it should be better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page