Army Looking For More Knockdown Power - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Army Looking For More Knockdown Power

Looks like the Army is finally going to get away from the 9mm and back to a larger caliber, good move.

But who writes this stuff?
Quote:
“We are not dictating a caliber during the competition,” the spokesperson said. “A vendor may submit multiple calibers of ammunition. However, the ammunition must exceed the performance of the current M882 9mm round.”

Among those likely to be considered in the Modular Handgun System competition are the .40 and .45 caliber rounds.

The argument against the .40 caliber round is that its heavier weight and stronger recoil causes excessive wear on a 9 mm pistol.
Huh?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/...ter-knock-down/

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Army Looking For More Knockdown Power

Yeah, I don't know what they are trying to say.

Having had the 9mm Beretta issued to me during my time on active duty (Aviation). I sure was glad to have been issued the M4 during combat operations. The Beretta was great in a pinch (when compared to the M-16 and much better than the .38 pistol that was previously issued). But my intent if downed, was to get as far away from the bad guys as possible and the Beretta was a close quarters firearm only.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When it comes down to it a hand gun round with FMJ's is a poor choice when it comes to "knockdown" power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Given that the FMJ bullets in the various pistol cartridges are notoriously poor stoppers so increasing bore diameter is one way to compensate that because expanding bullets are not allowed when it is important to kill people. Going back to the future to the 110yr old .45ACP makes sense. Usually pistols in combat are used as a last resort until you can get your hands on another rifle.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 PM
The Man

They need to get away from FMJ,that is the problem.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

The US had plenty of experience with the 9mm (Germany used them in WWII) and they knew it was an inadequate round but they went with it anyway, supposedly because of NATO.

From what I've heard there are three cartridges under consideration......357sig, 40S&W and 45ACP.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Geneva convention rules from way back....The aim of war is not to kill the opponent, but to disable him and make him a liability to the enemy by requiring him to take up manpower by being attended to.The main advantage of the 9mm is that it can hold more ammo and it it is a small round of which many more can be carried....45 ACP is limited in this regard.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM

I like carry and ammo for a 9mm because of weight but I would feel better with a 45 ACP.Soldiers could care less about any convention when life is on the line.I know some that used their knife to cut an X in the metal jacket so they would expand.We also use RPGs,drones,mortors and land mines all designed to kill.So Geneva is a joke or more correctly a feel good about war smoke screen.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Geneva convention rules from way back....The aim of war is not to kill the opponent, but to disable him and make him a liability to the enemy by requiring him to take up manpower by being attended to.The main advantage of the 9mm is that it can hold more ammo and it it is a small round of which many more can be carried....45 ACP is limited in this regard.
The Geneva convention has nothing to do with the type of ammo used during combat. The treaty covers the treatment of prisoners and humanitarian stuff, in short.

The Hague Convention of 1899 covers the type of ammo that can be used in combat. Also, the USA never signed it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Banned

We start using hoppow points, they start using exploding bullets and on and on. Better off using FMJ. It takes more people to care for the wounded than to carry off the dead when they get around to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page