moly coated - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

moly coated

Anybody have any information on moly coated bullets? I was thinking about buying 500 55gr .224 for my 220swift and 222rem for $85 shipped but I think I remember something about the moly coating not being good for your barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Re: moly coated

I use MOLY or DANZAC coated bullets in all of my rifles. from benchrest PPC's to hunting .338 WM.. I've found that it really cuts down on the amount of copper in the barrels..even my X-bullets leave almost zero in my hunting rifles--coat partions myself. PEOPLE bad mouth moly because of the black that keeps coming out of the barrel when cleaning it but they're forgetting that it's supposed to stay in there..that's what fills up all the little marks and nicks in the barrel..the idea is not to scrub and scrub..but shoot and shoot rather than clean and clean.. I've been using moly/danzac since we first heard about them..they are wonderful and help alot even in my benchrest PPC's. AND that big falacy about the barrel rusting if left in it...NONSENSE, I've left moly/danzac sit in the barrel for a years worth of temperature/humidity changes and have never found a single speck of rust, even when borescoped! I've used it with factory 22/250 V-maxes for over 2000 shots in a model 70 varmint, when borescoped..no spider cracking, throat erosion or any other problem..SO, USE IT..don't listen to all the critic's, make up your own mind...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Regular Visitor

I reload the Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips, which I believe are moly coated. I have shot about 1000 through a 30-06 and 500 through a 270. Both guns shoot great and I have noticed no fouling due to the coating. Both guns are shot at moderate to just above moderate velocities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not knocking Moly bullets, try it for your self.
But Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips are NOT MOLY coated. they are wax substance coated. and they are advertised as "NON_MOLY and require less cleaning between shoots".

When Moly came out it was advertised and hyped in the gun rags. Everyone wanted it and for a while most bullets on the dealers shelves were ONLY the moly coated ones. That fad has died a number of years back. Some people (like 6-Dasher) have had good experiences and love it. Many found it didn't add anything positive but was more costly.

Again, try it with out expecting miracles, and maybe you will like it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I found what I was leary about on varmintals.com website. He says that Moly coating with "eat" steel barrels if the moly comes in contact with water but has no "adverse" effects on stainless steel. Anybody ever heard this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Moly bullets are coated with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) a common high tech lubricant. The Moly consists of separated sulfide centers, in association with molybdenum (Mo4+).
Two things happen, first disulfide can cause steel corrosion when moisture is present, and secondly the compound tends to degrade rust inhibitors like oil and grease.

The second one is easy to fix, don’t use petroleum based rust inhibitors if you use moly and expect them to be effective in preventing rust in the bore. Use plastic or syn grease/oil.

While disulfides are bad, the MoS2 is not as bad as many.
Stainless steels corrode just like carbon steels, they just do it slower.

Rifle barrels are always a problem as they are generally not visible to the eye. So if you are a regular shooter not too much problem if you are cleaning your barrel once a week, doubt you will have a problem. If you let them sit for long periods (year or more) then you might very well get corrosion in the bore. It doesn't need to be in Contact with water" only moisture like a hunid day will cause rust (with or without moly).

Moly is enough of a problem that the Navy doesn’t like to use it on board ships and seeks other lubricants.

Just some thoughts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Sage

Already expressed my "opinions" on Moly coated bullets and treated bores. They are based on personal experiences, albeit somewhat limited back in the day and the experiences of many of the guys I used to shoot High Power matches with (AR15s, primarily).

They have all pretty much abandoned it, except for a few diehards.

Just got back from camp tonight and spent my evenings reading a huge pile of Handloader and Rifle magazines a buddy favored me with a few weeks ago, (got no TV now and limited internet, gotta do something).

Funny now, reading all the ads and testimonials on moly, in those late 1990s issues.

One shooter I've known for years, was a big moly advocate back in that time period, when moly-coated bullets were beginning to become a "big deal". Now, he won't touch the stuff with a 10' pole.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are right Denny. The gun writer hype (aka secret ads) usually lasts about 10 years. By that time most have tried it and abandoned the magazine strong recommendations. We move on after a while....usually to the next Newest, betterest, greatest, thing invented by those same gun writers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
But Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips are NOT MOLY coated. they are wax substance coated. and they are advertised as "NON_MOLY and require less cleaning between shoots".
Thanks for the clarification, now I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page