Shipping a long gun to a PA resident ... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Today is KeystoneTarget's birthday!
Shipping a long gun to a PA resident ...

I know this has been talked about before but I am getting lots of mixed information. I was told a PA resident can send a long gun to another PA resident with USPS.
USPS website says yes, ATF website also says yes but when I call my local post office they tell me NO. I then called the 1-800 number for USPS and they say yes. Has any one else had to deal with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 PM
The Man

Re: Shipping a long gun to a PA resident ...

You can. Your local post master is either anti gun, or simply doesn't know the rules. Have them call the 1 800 number while you're standing there, then, when they are told you're allowed to ship it, politely ship your gun.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You certainly can. Reference USPS code, section 11. There is a system of reporting misconduct for federal employees.
Ask the regional director to give your anti-gun postmaster a call, that usually sets a weasel straight. You can pull up the USPS code on a smart phone, if he needs to read it with you, LOL!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
You certainly can. Reference USPS code, section 11. There is a system of reporting misconduct for federal employees.
Ask the regional director to give your anti-gun postmaster a call, that usually sets a weasel straight. You can pull up the USPS code on a smart phone, if he needs to read it with you, LOL!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Today is KeystoneTarget's birthday!

Thank you, I called the 800 number and told them my local post office told me that they would not. A few hours later I got a call from the local post office saying they will.
On the first call the post office was insisting I could not. You hit the nail on the head, they are anti gun.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sometimes it just an anti-gun employee or someone that is unfamiliar with firearms that freaks out. I ship out of my local post office. Shortly after Sandy Hook I went in too ship a gun and the college age kid behind the counter freaked out. The rifle was packaged in a Ruger box and sealed up with tape. He kept saying to the other worker behind him, "he has a gun", after he said this a couple times the other worker said, yep its legal to ship them. The idiot behind the counter insisted that it wasn't. People in line started to give me all sorts of looks for holding up the line and having an gun to ship. The kid called out the manager and she informed him in front of everybody that it is perfectly legal to ship a long rifle in PA resident to resident. He then turned and looked at me and said, "well okay but is it completely disassembled". I said sure it is. Some people just don't have a clue. I have since shipped more from there and haven't had a problem. Though I haven't seen bright boy either since that little exchange.

Molon Labe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 PM
New Arrival

Yes it is perfectly legal to mail a long gun from a PA resident to a PA resident. I think it is still a good idea to use an FFL on the other end, but it is not required

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page