Decisions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Decisions

Ok, so I want a light weight, quick handling rifle built in in 35 whelen. This will be my new bear gun. It needs to be light because we put mile after mile on doing drives. It needs to be short and quick handling because of what we drive. Here's where I'm at: I have my grandfather's Czech mauser action rifle in .30/06 or I have one of two pre 64 model 70 Winnies (one standard .270, one featherweight .30/06) to use as a donor action. I've never owned a .35 whelen before. Is this a caliber that can perform well in a short barrel rifle? I don't need sub zero accuracy because after all, its going to be a hunting rifle. What do you guys suggest.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Decisions

What about a Rem 760 carbine in a '06 ? The whelen doesn't do much the '06 doesn't do, cept kick you harder. The parent case for the whelen is the '06. You could cut and recrown the '06 bbl where you want.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I'd prefer a bolt rifle. I want the Whelen because I don't have one and I've always thought it was a pretty cool round. I shoot a .45/70 now so recoil really isn't an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Sage

You would be better off with a Marlin 45-70 1895 Guide gun model, short, light and accurate.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The 35 Whelen is a sledgehammer. More so on a rifle shorter than 22". The 45-70 will knock down any animal on the continent within it's range. The 35 Whelen was designed as a large game stopper at longer distances than the 35 Rem. Its more at home with 300+yd shots on Elk, Bear, Moose, or Caribou and such. Suitable for whitetails, however damages more meat than the 30-06.

Considering your intentions, I'd flat out go for a 1895G in 45-70 or 450 Marlin, a 444 Marlin, or a 375 Win.

If your hearts set on a compact barrel in 35 Whelen, by all means go for it. However, the noise and recoil will make a 45-70 sound and feel like a 308 Win. IMHO

In terms of which donor, use the Mauser. I would never molest a pre64 M70.

My aspirations are simple.
Send the kids to college, hunt, and own more guns
USMC 2111 Armorer, Ret.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds like a cool prodject, should make a perfect bear rifle. When shooting similiar weight bullets (220/225)the Whelen has a big advantage over the 30-06, plus you can step up in bullet weight. A shorter barrel will usually give you less velocity, but 18" too 20" should be no problem. Remington chambered their pump carbine in it, I think it had a 18" barrel. I am not sure where the other's are getting their info from? But; A Whelen does not have alot of recoil, slightly more then a 30-06 and less then the 45-70. A bolt action can be made as compact and light as a Marlin lever gun. Thats whats nice about custom, its as short and light as you want. And a 35 Whelen will not damage more meat then a 30-06.

There are a few inexpensive ways you could go with the rifles that you plan on using. You could get your existing barrel rebored or Midway sells pre threaded/chambered barrels for the Mauser. Or you could go for a full custom job.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546547/...=ProductFinding

http://www.35caliber.com/

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 PM
The Man

It always amazes me on here when someone comes on and posts what they want to do and then people post why they should do something else...???

To the original question, I would use the Czech Mauser action simply because I consider it a sacrilige to disassemble and rebarrel a pre-64 model 70. If that's what you're going to do, then sell me one of them and you can buy whatever action you want.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a load for a 22 or even 20 inch barrel for that Whelen. Excellent bear round.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned I currently have a marlin GG in .45/70. I also have a couple .06's and .270's. I've never owned a custom built rifle before. I was leaning toward using Pap's Mauser for the build just because he was never able to afford a fancy or custom rifle but always appreciate them. It would give me a chance to have a little something of him along when I hunt. I'm going with the 35 whelen just because its always been something I wanted. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the caliber so I was curious how it handled out of a short barrel.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I'm going with the 35 whelen just because its always been something I wanted.

There is no better reason to get a 35 Whelen then that!!! The pro's and con's of what is the best gun/cartridge can be debated forever, buy what you want. I have had freinds, family, and sales people question why I would buy a certain gun/cartridge over another many times. Simple answer was because its what I WANTED.

Good luck, Tony
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Model 70's and Mauser actions really are not the best route to take when going light. But like Kudu said, if you use one use the Mauser. I don't think you could pick a better bear round.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page