7mm-08 ammo prices - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

7mm-08 ammo prices

Can someone explain why prices of 7mm-08 ammo is nearly twice that of 30-06 ammo, and same as that of the much larger 300 Win Mag ammo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 7mm-08 ammo prices

supply and demand. same reason 243, 308, 30-30 and 30-06 are cheap. more they sell the cheaper they are. i feel your pain. i own a 7mm-08 and if i can find them at $22 at walmart i snatch them up.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's not going to get any better either. I went about 2 weeks ago to pick up a box of 130 grain .270 accu tips that I ordered..... Last year they were 26.00 a box for 20 shells this year they are 37.00! Last year my 300 ultra mag shells in power level 3 were 50.00 a box. thank god I don't have to buy any of them for a while. I have 2 and a half boxes so I should be good for a few years! I don't fun shoot that sucker.

Experience the Xtreme!

"your a daisy if ya do"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
The Man

It's not in the top selling category of the "common mans " 30-06, 270, 30-30,308, 243...Large outlets like Wal-mart order these cartridges in large bulk at low prices because they will sell a lot of them. Not so with other cartridges like the 35 Remington, 7mm-08, 260 Remington which have a following, but nothing like the previously mentioned cartridges.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot Federal Premium 140gr NP and haven't found any in 6 months. I just ordere 4 boxes from a local gun shop and hopefully they'll come in. He checked with 9 different suppliers and these were the only 4 available. For the price they charge for them one would think that they would be much more readily available.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to clarify a bit before I get slammed... I am not placing the 2 cartridges mentioned above in the common catergory just mentioning some prices. To see a jump of $10 for a box of shells in a year is lame! that's .50 a shell more and a 1.85 a shot(total box price divided by 20 shots). Just throwing out some numbers.

Experience the Xtreme!

"your a daisy if ya do"
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

folks; in case all didn't notice the price of ammo has been creeping up over the last few years. really climbing since the 2008 election. everytime a new order comes in the price is at least 25 cents more a box usually more. customer was in shop one day asking about .458 lott ammo, which priced out at just under 160 dollars per box of 20 before tax. i shoot rifle in competition sometimes shooting 150 rounds of .223 or .308 per weekend. reloading is a must. hunters that only buy once a year often suffer sticker shock. short magnum, super short magnum, amd short action ultra mags are real pricey. IT WILL NOT GET ANY BETTER!!! the manufacturerers now realize that they can charge what the traffic will bear in the less popular cartridges. the hunter that has the super whiz-bang double magnum death ray is finding 3 or 4 dollars or even more a shot is here. sighting in is now 50 dollars. WHOA!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

WELL,there's no better reason to start reloading...it's gotten expensive also but no where near the prices of factory ammo at the big store.. $60-90 or more for twenty shells...I'd quit shooting if I had to pay those prices..all the 30's shoot the same basic bullet..the difference is only a little bit of powder and the size of the case...I've seen standard /06 shells for $20 for 20 and the same bullet in 300 short mags for $60!!! Makes no sense, but unless you reload your trapped..they did the same things with primers over the lastfew years..they doubled or trippled the prices and the supply they said was low and the reloaders hoarded all they could get..now, you can buy just about anyting you want but it's alot more expensive for sure..set yourself to reload, you'll enjoy it and it'll give you something to do..
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM

I remember the days of 6-7 dollar a box for 30-06 or federals at K-Mart. them days are long gone therefor I reload also.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Sage

How about $10.98 per box for 150gr 30-06 Core Lokts? That's what it cost me for the usual two boxes I take up each year for the cousin that takes care of my camp.

Gander Mtn. had them on sale a couple weeks ago and with the Remington rebate and the GM rebate, that was my final cost. Wasn't that long ago when the Rem. rebate was $5 per box, now it's $2.50 per box. Limit two boxes per address.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page