bolt stuck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

bolt stuck

I was on the range last week with my 2004 Remington 22-250 and after the third round the bolt was stuck,took home and used a rubber mallet to open it.The nose of bolt had piece that broke off,it was about 1/4" long 1/16"in dia. never did find the piece that broke off but now the bolt binds so i took it to a gun smith and he tried a different 700 bolt but it would not go all the way in without binding so i would have replace the bolt and housing with the bolt slides into,it would cost to much to replace so i will call Remington to see what they think that cause this.(hope it isn't Bush)
I was using reloads with a 55 grain bullet,34 grains of 4064 IMR was by no means a hot load.I only had around 125 rounds fired out of this rifle.I've been reloading for more than 30 years and never had a problem before and i check the loads that i had left and could not find anything wrong with them.Looks like i'll end up selling the stock and barrel.
When i went online their was quite a few others that had the same problem with the Remingtons.Has anyone run into this problem with Remington or any rifle?
I know i should have taken to the gunsmith before using the rubber mallet also just a couple days after i took my gun into the gunsmith he had another 700 Remington with the same problem.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: bolt stuck

I would take it to a different gunsmith, You can buy a real nice aftermarket bolt from PTG for $150. Have a good gunsmith take the barrel off and see what damage has been done inside, sounds like the lugs may be messed up, if it isn't to bad they can be lapped, or you might have to put the action in the lathe and true things up. the tolerance's inside there are very close, it doesn't take much to bind things up. If you ever get to Centre County speak with Ted Ulmer of Ulmers Gunsmithing in Potters Mills, he is top notch and will give you a straight answer. You could send it to him also. There are plenty of other reputable gunsmiths around, I just mentioned him because I know he's good
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM

check the neck dia of a loaded round vs your chamber diameter, also your overall brass length vs the chamber length. I suspect either the loaded neck was too tight or too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure this is the answer to your problem, but send it to Remington. I sent a 700BDL to them that I had bought without a bolt. They replaced it for less than a used one. They go to a big barrel of new bolts and keep trying them till they find one with the proper head spacing. Actually a hair longer. Then head space on the bolt. A used bolt will need to have the barrel turned to head space properly.
I receive excellent and fast service from them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure were you live in Westmoreland County. I have gone to Small guy gunsmithing a couple time, he has done nice work for me and his prices are good, best part he will not [censored] you.

Trouble with sending it back is the reloads, You may have done everything right, but its up in the air as to warranty work once you use reloads. I reloads my self. I have seen it both ways, some will do the work and send you a letter saying not to shoot reloads, others will just flat out tell you the warranty is void because of the reloads.

He is close to Plum Pa, His phone number is 724-339-6908
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM

send it back to remington ,, they will do a fast turnaround
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

You mentioned seeing others online with this same problem. Have any links? What caused this? Only time i've ever locked a 700 bolt up was with hot reloads. Shooting hot reloads tested in november in the heat of summer to be exact.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Just do a search on bolt stuck on my 700 Remington.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page