AR 15 80% lower - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

AR 15 80% lower

I would like to get a decent semi-auto AR style rifle, but don't have a fortune to spend.. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a polymer 80% lower for an AR and putting it together myself. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this and if they had any recommendations. I like the idea of it not being registered but am torn on getting the 80% lower or buying a complete lower, and assembling the rest. I figure I could build one for $500-600. I am just not sure of the quality of these lowers and dont really know a whole lot about the specs. Every AR forum I check seems like its all a ford vs chevy deal, and everyone talks like they need the best military grade specs for a doomsday scenario. I just want something that wont jam, and is fairly accurate.

I have also been thinking of saying to heck with it and buying a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport for $580, or a ruger mini 14 for $700. The smith and wesson doesnt have forward assist or a dust cover, which seems to be a deal breaker for some people, but I would guess for my uses those things wouldnt be necessary. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: AR 15 80% lower

You can definitely (ok, maybe usually is a better word ) build an AR cheaper than buying one. There is NOT any firearm registration, although you do need to have a background check for a stripped lower receiver. The exception to my statement about no firearm registration would be if you are building a SBR. Anyway, in my opinion only, unless, you are pretty confident with a drill press, get the stripped lower. It's not a big difference in price. I have read you need to buy a jig for the 80% lower.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

By the way, Palmetto State Armory usually has some pretty good daily specials. They have an email list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know much about this, but you do understand that the 80% lower would have to be finished (milled out to specs) don't you? I've seen jigs for sale that you could use to finish one using a drill press, but they arn't cheap.

By the time you paid for these things and the lower parts kit, it would probably be less expensive to just buy a complete lower.

If you decide to go with the 80% lower check out the youtube videos that show the work it involves good luck.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

I am of the understanding that when purchasing a lower, it has to be registered as a pistol...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Palmetto state has great deals right now. Complete lowers with stocks for $150. DPMS sportocal complete gun for $579 with $50 rebate. Can't build one for that.

Lowers are classified as receivers. Not rifle or pistol. Separate check box on the 4473.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

First and foremost, there is NO firearm registration. Secondly, when buying a stripped lower from a dealer, a background check is required. I'm an FFL and I recently confirmed this with the PSP because someone did not believe me. I had to call to appease this person. When a background check is completed for a stripped lower, the ATF 4473 is completed and that is it. No paperwork is sent to the PSP with the serial number, etc. The FFL must record in the A&D (bound book).

whil e kioti - if you watch for deals, you can build an AR cheaper than buying a complete lower.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskOutdoors
I am of the understanding that when purchasing a lower, it has to be registered as a pistol...
The OP was asking about a 80% lower blank. It is my understanding that because it's NOT a finished striped lower it dosen't need to go through a FFL, no background check is required.

From what I have read it's legal to finish it yourself, but ONLY for yourself. it can't be sold.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskOutdoors
The OP was asking about a 80% lower blank. It is my understanding that because it's NOT a finished striped lower it dosen't need to go through a FFL, no background check is required.

From what I have read it's legal to finish it yourself, but ONLY for yourself. it can't be sold.
You are correct - no background check required for an 80% lower receiver. ARs can be built for yourself and not built to be sold unless you have class 07 FFL, I think. I don't have to cross that bridge so I am not 100% sure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yes the 80% lower is considered unfinished, therefore not needing to be registered/go through ffl. The polymer lowers can be milled out using a dremel tool and drill quite easily, my friend had his done in less than an hour. You can get one for around $60 or buy it stripped for twice that.

Im just unsure of the quality of these lowers compared to aluminum.. Not quite sure what to look for in an upper either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page