Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R rifle

Where can a guy find one on the cheap?

will hunt for food....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R rifle

I got mine at the gun show at the Allentown Fairgrounds from Eagle Arms. You could check out there shop, it is on RT222 between Allentown and Kutztown.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What huntined said. I bought mine at the shop on 222. Very nice laminate stock very nice bore. Looks like it may never have seen battle. Mine still has its original serial number never restamped. Grabbed it for $169, a steal for a rare rifle And he sells the parts kit for $5. He had 30 or so when i was there in Aug. Keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Cabela's has an entire rack of their used gun section filled with Mosin's.

I would say, however, that if you want one, get to it. 3-4 years ago, these were $99 rifles. Now they are going at $150 and up, depending on who's selling/buying. Despite the reputation they have as "beaters" and cheap rifles, many other rifles had that status once upon a time and are now pricey collectible items. The M1903, M1917, and even the various British SMLE's come to mind. I am in my late 30's, and even I remember a time when SMLE's were sold out of Boscov's dept stores for $80 each. They had the same status then that the Mosin's have now. Good SMLE's now fetch several hundred dollars, easily, with some tiptoeing toward the 4-figure range for exemplary specimens.

It'll take Mosin's a long time to get there, but they are going up in price. There's a lot of them, so it will take longer, but it'll happen. As with any milsurp rifle, getting in when the getting is cheap is the best idea.

I had a Mosin and sold it for something else I wanted more. I don't regret it, but I have a lot of other milsurp rifles I value more. If you want an old military rifle and want to stay at a low cost, get a Mosin, and get it now.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Buds have them for $139.00 with free shipping.
Also if you have a Dunham close They had them for about the same as Buds and charge $2.00 for the paper work.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...BUDS+FAST+TRACK
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with TDD...I only paid $99 two years ago. Now you see them regularly priced at $179 and then they go on sale for $150.

Shut Up and Drill
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know this was many years ago, however back in the early 60s there was a chain store called Masons. I bought my first 303 British, for $30.00. They had wooden barrels full of them your choice, as well as other mil-surplus rifles, They had Japanese, and Italian rifles for $25.00.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

While I hear Bud's has a good rep, I would shy away from a purchase like this online. Bud's does not inspect prior to shipping. By that I mean, you (and they) make no selection other than whoever reaches up on the shelf and grabs a random box. I have contacted them in the past about Winchester Model 70 Supergrades they've had for good prices. The problem is...some Supergrades have stunning wood, some have "blah" wood, and they are all the same price at Bud's. I didn't want the "blah" version! They were emphatic that there was no option to "hand select."

With a Mosin, I would not take "luck of the draw". These rifles were made to be abused, basically. That's what the Russian mindset in weapons design was....that anyone, literate or not, skilled with firearms or not, could make the thing shoot. It was not made to be elegant or classy, but to work. They were shot by folks who had no clue, really, what they were doing with firearms maintenance, and they shot corrosively primed ammo to boot.

When I bought mine at Cabela's a few years ago, I drove the gun counter guy nuts. I asked for one, inspected it and rejected it. He brought out another. And another. And another. I think I went through 6 or 7 until I found one without buggered up wood and with a strong looking bore, as well.

My persistence paid off, as the one I owned shot Tula steel-cased ammo into 2" groups at 100 off the bench, which is pretty decent. I'd bet handloads would have shrunk that a tad, but even so, that's not shabby for what the rifle is. They are not known to be tack drivers.

With a potential a savings of only $30-$50 by going online by vs. in a store, I'd personally get one that I could inspect in person, rather than luck of the draw, but that's just me.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about the Mosin Nagant rifle. But I believe I read that some shot a different caliber bullet. The article I read maintained that you should slug the bore prior to shooting, any truth to this. Or was this something in the very early rifles.

My military rifle interest is more in the way of the Mauser than anything else is these days and they too have tripled in price in just a few years.

I have seen chopped up Mausers going for more than many of the new entry level sporting rifles.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Some Mosins were converted to 30/06 (Remington manufactured). The U.S. (Remington and Westinghouse) produced Mosins for Russia. I own several variants of the Mosin rifles and love shooting them, especially the M44 carbines. Several years ago, Aim Surplus was selling laminate m44's for $29 as a Memorial Day or Labor Day sale. I am kicking myself for only ordering one at that time (I have a C&R license). I just got a flyer from Southern Ohio Gun yesterday and that same gun is now selling for $299. Classic Arms had Mosins for $99 about 2-3 weeks ago but after you figure in shipping, transfer, etc., you can probably pick one up locally for about the same price (unless you have a C&R license).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page