Air Rifles due to ammo shortage? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Dad
Part of the Community

Air Rifles due to ammo shortage?

Has the increased price and ammo shortage, especially 22LR, driven anyone to using the Air Rifles/Pistols instead of their normal shooting weapons?

For the longest time now I have avoided using our 22's due to the price and shortage. Happened to glance at an air rifle and wondered if there was an increase in use.

At least it is shooting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Re: Air Rifles due to ammo shortage?

The Missus bought Me a Gamo .22 Cal. Air rifle for Xmas. It Is accurate to 20yds. and I enjoy shooting It. Don`t have to worry about the Neighbors complaining due to noise levels.Also,no worry about Bullets ricocheting.I`ll save My .22 shells for Squirrel Season....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
JGR

I love shooting mine in warm weather, always have since I was a kid. Good for clearing out the rats in the barn.
I have friends that won't own guns because of their kids, but enjoy coming over and shooting the pellet guns during cook outs.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot my springers any time I can, when the weather is warm enough. Spring air rifles are VERY sensitive to ambient temps and only function well when the mercury rises above about 40-45 degrees or so, give or take. I have nitro piston driven "springers that are much more cold tolerant but I'm not when it comes to just plinking in sub-freezing temps, so it's to the basement with a pellet trap I go to keep my shooting skills sharp.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Been using single pump pellet guns for indoor practice for 30 years. I do have a spring powered bb pistol from daisy that looks like a 45 Peacemaker, but it needs some repair. It has no piston or pump, it uses a spring to propel the bb.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM

Tis a shame we can't use them for hunting in this state. Some are working to change that though. Rep Gabler has a bill to do so.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Dad
Part of the Community

I have a couple of older Crossman's but really thinking of getting a Springer or PCP to really shot for the time being while .22 ammo is hard to find.

Any recommendations? How about caliber, .22 or .177?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought a Crosman Pumpmaster Classic pistol in 177cal for the reason you stated, I also bought a sholder stock for it. I figured it would be something to plink with when the wheather breaks and I go for hikes.

Around here 177cal is easier to find than 22cal...go figure.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
New Arrival

I bought a Benjamin Marauder in .22 Cal. (wooden stock model) a year ago. It's a PCP that you pump up to 3000 PSI with a high pressure hand pump. I purchased it as a combination package; [Rifle, Pump, Scope, Mounts, pellets,bipod and hard case] for $750. I get about 40 shots before it needs re-charged. It has internal baffles in a shrouded barrel that make it very guiet. It is extremely accurate! Pellets run about $25 for 650 (.22 cal.)pellets. Years back I scoffed at the idea of buying a PCP air rifle. So I was on the fence when Benjamin came out with the Marauder? In the end, it was the best money I ever spent. It is just so fun to shoot. I gave my Gamo Springer away as there was no comparison. I ended up buying another Marauder in .25 caliber, in their Synthetic version. All I can say is "Wow"! I was not disappointed. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I'm talking about.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Dad
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnCarve

I bought a Benjamin Marauder in .22 Cal. (wooden stock model) a year ago. It's a PCP that you pump up to 3000 PSI with a high pressure hand pump. I purchased it as a combination package; [Rifle, Pump, Scope, Mounts, pellets,bipod and hard case] for $750. I get about 40 shots before it needs re-charged. It has internal baffles in a shrouded barrel that make it very guiet. It is extremely accurate! Pellets run about $25 for 650 (.22 cal.)pellets. Years back I scoffed at the idea of buying a PCP air rifle. So I was on the fence when Benjamin came out with the Marauder? In the end, it was the best money I ever spent. It is just so fun to shoot. I gave my Gamo Springer away as there was no comparison. I ended up buying another Marauder in .25 caliber, in their Synthetic version. All I can say is "Wow"! I was not disappointed. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thanks, I was just looking at both the Marauder and the Benjamin Discovery. I was actually leaning toward the Discovery in .22 due to the cost and easy of pumping it to 2000 lbs vs 3000 for the Marauder. I've read online that it gets tough to pump the Marauder, what's your experience?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page