LTCF - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

LTCF

If you have a valid LTCF can you drive into a school parking lot to drop off children?Gun loaded and concealed.Allegheny county if it matters.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: LTCF

The law reads (Possession of a weapon on school property) so I would say no.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't believe you are allowed to have a firearm on school property, but I am sure it happens everyday. Doc in Pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Dad
Part of the Community

Here is the verbiage: It is unlawful to possess any firearm:
on school property but it shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose

Many argue that the "for other lawful purpose" allows carry but to my knowledge it has not been tested in the courts. I'd love to hear if anyone has more to add from case law.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have nothing to add from case law. But I know most school districts have the possession of firearms or other weapons prohibited on school grounds as part of their district policy. So I would assume that their policy would be the same as a business that prohibits the possession of firearms therefore making it illegal.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I'm just trying to get a "correct" answer.Not getting smart here but if school policy creates an illegal act and they don't like black cars it will solve my problem.My car is black and if the have a policy on that the kids walk from the street.I do know you can't get a LTCF if you have been convicted of having a firearm on school property.I don't know if you get convicted if you have a valid LTCF.It's clear as mud I think,but I have no law degree.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Oh and I forgot to add I don't think any 2 people in Pa will agree on the actual answer by the law.Not judges,state police local police or attorneys.I'll call one if they would actually know.It is purposely written to be misleading.That way the courts will figure out what they wrote at some poor souls expense.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

PA law states it is illegal to have a weapon on school property. The clause "unless possessed for other lawful purpose" has not be defined by the courts. Many people, myself included view a LTCF as being a lawful purpose. If a rifle team can have a firearm on school grounds, then it should stand to reason that a person with a LTCF would be legal too.

Even if a primary or secondary school (K-12) were to have a policy, it wouldn't matter as there is no punishment for an outside person violating policy.

Colleges and universities have "no gun" policies, however there would be no punishment for a non-student. A student would probably be expelled.

So, to answer your question, yes you could be charged with violating the law. which is an M2 and face up to 5 years in jail. You could work the case through the court system and set case law once and for all what a "lawful purpose" is, but not too many people have the money for that.

Incidentally, while you would be in violation of PA law, you would NOT be in violation of the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act because you possess a license, issued by the state, which is the same state of the school and the license required you to undergo a background check.

So, with a LTCF and school property;

LTCF + school property = probable violation of PA law.

LTCF + school property = no violation of Federal law.

Steve
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I'll just make the kids get out of the car off school property and walk the rest of the way.If someone has the money it will never get to court to make case law.Who would we contact to have the "lawful purpose" clarified or make such an act legal?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Sage

If you walk into a business that prohibits firearms you can be asked to leave, if you leave you have violated no laws. If you don't leave you are trespassing. You cannot be arrested for violating a policy.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page