The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Can't Tell What this is?!?!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DTaylor 
#1 ·
Okay, so Barryboy and I were out this morning before class, Barry killed a mallard today that we aren't sure of... We didn't know if it is a goof ball, a not fully plumed bird, some sexual trait going on with it, or a cross. The only reason we have been wondering if any sort of cross is because its head resembles the side of a widgeons head. So any one that can help out that'd be great. Regardless it is sitting in the freezer awaiting confirmation on what it is.

Also ended the day with another 3 in a new spot. Definitely could be an all day spot, where birds trickle in by small groups. We just had to get to class. Hope everyone is enjoyin the last bit of the season.
Head Shot:

Under the Head:

Body Shots:

Our day over all:
(Normally don't try and smack hens, but as I stated in a previous post, when season is winding down the guys and I will shoot anything)

See less See more
#6 ·
I think its a cross between a Black and a Mallard. Look at his head in front of the eye it is black and is starting the tell tail sign of the black eye stripe. Also look at the top of its butt. It is black. Useually if it is an imature drake the green will bell shown very lightly throughout the head and on top of its butt would be a lighter tan or brown. JMO I could be wrong.

#7 ·
I've never seen a black x mallard that didn't look a whole lot more like a black duck. Usually you have to search for mallard in a black duck, not the other way around. It's got a few curls and the right wings, it looks like a mature bird. I said eclipse.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.