This north zone late season.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

This north zone late season..

Did anyone tell the ducks it was part 2 of the split? Ive seen 2 mergs so far, nothing else. No greenheads or blacks, where I'll usually see a dozen+ a morning.
Weather hasn't been too bad with some cold fronts pushing down. I dont know what to think of it. Maybe just flying different routes? Staying up north yet? Anyone else noticing a decline up here? Early season was off the charts, but all woodies.

Outsiders call us sadists or masochists; sometimes both. Others, mostly ourselves, describe our activities in romantic, even heroic, terms. We take ourselves very seriously and tend to forget that much of duck and goose hunting is fun and sometimes ridiculous.

The perils of duck hunting are great, especially for the duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:41 PM
The Man

Not just you but it seems like all the Mid-Atlantic States have ducks spread out everywhere with the lack of any Winter weather or ice. There's also little doubt in my mind that a huge amount of Waterfowl are still North of us.

I'm hanging out in Coastal South Jersey, about a week ago the ducks seemed to disappear then today I put in some windshield time and saw huntable numbers again. It's hard for me to understand these darn birds!

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Regular Visitor

I was duck hunting in the Finger Lakes region of New York earlier in the week and we did well mallards and blacks but for this late in the season we still shot some greenwings! The local guys I was with said they haven't seen a big push of ducks yet since its been so mild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just got back from driving around Pymatuning. Only ducks I seen were a few divers on one side of the causeway and 2 small groups of mallsrds on the other side(maybe 16 total). Nothing at the spillway.
All the geese, 2-300, were behind the managent building.
I did see 20 Sandhill cranes feeding in the management area close to the road.
I know the nortwest zone is closed for ducks but it looked strange not seeing any numbers of birds.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:20 PM
Regular Visitor

Iíve barely seen any ducks and none in the areas that I have access to. Once in a while I come across small groups of mallards in farm ponds or like today in the collection pond in front of a Walmart, but nothing on the creeks and moving water. Geese have been around in numbers though, so Iíve pretty much been hunting the fields with decent success.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 04:08 AM

Yea, it’s been tough to get into any numbers locally.
Few weeks ago we had a good push, but it’s been lean since. We’re getting a few.
Seeing blacks here, but no numbers. No woodies.
All depends on the ice line up north. Lakes aren’t even frozen up.
It’s been so mild all season, we’re running out of time , hope weather changes quickly.
Good luck!!

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Definitely hoping for one last hurrah before closer. At this point I'd settle for one pair of mallards. I cant believe you guys got into teal this late lol I'm only an hour outside the finger lakes, have always wanted to to hunt up that way.

Outsiders call us sadists or masochists; sometimes both. Others, mostly ourselves, describe our activities in romantic, even heroic, terms. We take ourselves very seriously and tend to forget that much of duck and goose hunting is fun and sometimes ridiculous.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You know there no ice or.snow on the land when snow geese fly north in January
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted b View Post
You know there no ice or.snow on the land when snow geese fly north in January
Ha! Yeah it's been a rough one..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page