trumpeter swan? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

trumpeter swan?

Has anyone seen, or more importantly ever heard a trumpeter swan? I believe we witnessed one today, got a short video of it, its voice was much lower and louder than the whistlers/tundras we are used to seeing (never this early though!!)...not sure how to post a video....
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Banned

What color was the bill? I doubt you saw a trumpeter, it would be extremely rare for one to be in this part of the country.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

thats what we thought....but......the voice/honk, whatever you want to call it, sounds exactly like the examples we found on the internet....the bill was dark, probably black, big bird, seemed larger than a tundra swan, although hard to say for sure since it was by itself.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Banned

Not saying it is impossible but it would be a rare occurrence. I have seen waterfowl in the past that should not have been in PA.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

it wasnt too many years ago a fulvous tree duck was at Pymatuning, got blown up here from the hurricane that hit New Orleans that year (Katrina?)....attracted all sorts of birdwatchers etc, was here for a few weeks before it got shoot off a farm pond near Linesville. So I guess a trumpeter isnt out of the question, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I have could see/hear the video and confirm it....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
it wasnt too many years ago a fulvous tree duck was at Pymatuning, got blown up here from the hurricane that hit New Orleans that year (Katrina?)....attracted all sorts of birdwatchers etc, was here for a few weeks before it got shoot off a farm pond near Linesville. So I guess a trumpeter isnt out of the question, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I have could see/hear the video and confirm it....

Go to ebird.com and go into the explore area and type in Trumpeter Swan. The have been sightings in Western Pa this year.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Sorry.. Its ebird.org.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
In the 70s and 80s there would be some Fulvous tree ducks taken on The Susquehanna river in Lancaster Co every once in a while. Once when I was checking duck hunters on the river I checked a boat coming into a dock. I knew the three guys in the boat and they were acting sheepish when I asked
them what they got. They said they limited out and tossed some mallards and black ducks on to the dock, I said that isn't the limit. One of them then tossed three more birds onto the dock and said we got these too, are they legal? I had to chuckle, they had no idea what they were and thought they might be in trouble. I told them they were OK, they had just each got a bird that they may never see again this far north. They were some happy campers and they all said they were ting them to the taxidermist. One year I was preseason banding wood ducks on the river and I saw a King Eider sitting on a log. In the late 80s I was driving to a meeting near Washington Boro and we saw some sand hill Cranes in a grass field. Birds get off course occasionally, I have learned to never say someone didn't see what they thought they saw because there are usual occurrences that are not the norm. It keeps life interesting.
bohunr, jimmyt and BillHjr like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 09-10-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 PM
New Arrival

If it had a black bill, it was likely a trumpeter swan. Ontario has been reintroducing them for the past 30 years. New York has a few established breeding pairs. Pennsylvania does not have any known nesting pairs but has had a few individual birds remain in the state throughout the year. One was at Presque Isle for a few summers until it hit a telephone wire and died. Trumpeters wintering in Pa are more common. Many will have large yellow patagial tags that can be reported via reportband.gov. I typically see them on the lake Erie shoreline and did have a juvenile remain on a pond through March here in NW Pa. Also, the duck at Pymatuning was a black bellied whistling duck, pretty neat looking.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
In the 70s and 80s there would be some Fulvous tree ducks taken on The Susquehanna river in Lancaster Co every once in a while. Once when I was checking dick hunters on the river I checked a boat coming into a dock. I knew the three guys in the boat and they were acting sheepish when I asked
them what they got. They said they limited out and tossed some mallards and black ducks on to the dock, I said that isn't the limit. One of them then tossed three more birds onto the dock and said we got these too, are they legal? I had to chuckle, they had no idea what they were and thought they might be in trouble. I told them they were OK, they had just each got a bird that they may never see again this far north. They were some happy campers and they all said they were ting them to the taxidermist. One year I was preseason banding wood ducks on the river and I saw a King Eider sitting on a log. In the late 80s I was driving to a meeting near Washington Boro and we saw some sand hill Cranes in a grass field. Birds get off course occasionally, I have learned to never say someone didn't see what they thought they saw because there are usual occurrences that are not the norm. It keeps life interesting.

what the ??
hunter-trapper21 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page