Geneva Swamp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Geneva Swamp

I've never been there, so just wanted to hear from guys who have been. So how bad is it really? I hear it sounds like a war and can be dangerous. How difficult is it getting a spot to hunt? I'm imagining this would be crazy like the first day of trout season. Am i wrong? What breed of ducks are bagged? I'm guessing woodies and teal....hopefully teal!
Me and a couple buddies basically started waterfowl hunting last year. We were thinking of heading up there and give it a try.
Any advice (warnings) welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Only went there one time. We parked on the south side of the bridge (trucking company parking lot) and walked to the water with waders. It really did sound like a war zone. I did get a Blue wing teal. I think between 5 of us we got 4 birds. After that adventure I swore I'd never go back.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Hunted Canada geese there many times with a canoe. Get out in the middle of the swamp set up your spread and call them. You likely won't see another hunter. As for the duck hunting hot spots I wouldn't go near them. Just not my speed. Some guys love it.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Do most guys wade or have small boats? I have a small duck boat. I might try it too this year before south zone opens. I checked a couple launches but have not paddled it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Part of the Community

I hunted this swamp quite a bit over the last 20 years and I got a lot of birds. That being said that was back when the Game Commission would take what was called a cookie cutter in the swamp and cut canals for hunters to take canoes and jon boats in and hunt. They did a great job and by cutting canals hunters were able to spread out.
Since then the cutter is no longer used and its difficult to get some space between you and other hunters so there is lots of close shooting , I'm not saying unsafe just closer than I like. Many guys come there because its not unusual to shoot 2 boxes of shells before 9am however most of the shots are unnecessary and if they do hit a bird the odds that they find it is highly unlikely . As far as I'm concerned killing something that you know would be impossible to retrieve is irresponsible. Geneva is a beautiful and very large swamp and there are places where you can walk in but a hunter needs to be very careful. As many of the places that you walk is not solid ground its matted down marsh grass 3 ft under water above another 5ft of water below the grass. When we would walk in we still drug in a canoe and pulled it along side of us just in case we got into trouble if not a canoe a PFD would be a smart choice.
If you really want to hunt that swamp don't go opening day go mid week and there will be less people. Another good swamp in that area is Harts Town swamp its less crowded but smaller.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 AM

Lol
“Murderers Row “they call it, for a reason. Been called that for as long as I can remember.
It is a nice area for waterfowl, but not for the hunters. Tough to get to good spots.
I have buddies that get there at 11 pm and go in then to paddle and push to get to spots, and still get surrounded buy sky busters come first light.
As said above, it can also be dangerous because of the unstable water weeds.
I personally won’t ever go, just wouldn’t want to see all those winged ducks sailing off wounded with no one looking for them.
Search for the video from last duck season posted on here and you’ll see.
Hope this helps
Good luck if you go.!!

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Part of the Community

Checkster, I was always under the impression "Murderers Row" is at the top of the hill on 285 as you enter the Pymatuning Management Area.

Geneva is probably one of the best swamps around for seeing ducks, but finding them after the shot its probably the worst. Even a great dog will struggle in the vegetation open to hunting. If the bird falls or swims under the "wire" you are. not permitted to retrieve it. That being said, its a tough spot to get birds. Shooting them isn't that difficult, retrieving them is.

Identifying birds at dawn that have been fired on a dozen times is pretty tough as well, so it really comes down to ethics and what kind of waterfowler you want to become. Regardless, shoot straight and be safe, I hate to hear anyone getting hurt, its bad for all of us then.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Part of the Community

awaterfowler1 you are correct murderers row is on rt 285 just below the management blinds, although its not quite the same as it was back in its heyday, us older hunters can see the difference, mainly because there is just not the same amount of geese around the management area. as far as Geneva goes its a real circus the first week, its a shame that so many birds are shot and never retrieved because the growth around everyone is so thick a lot of guys don't even go look for downed birds unless they fall ontop of them, the commish needs to pay more attention down there and write more tickets, its really a shame
stinkbait and awaterfowler1 like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Sounds like a place I need to avoid.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:26 PM

Yep, you guys are right about MR.
I always thought they were talking about Geneva.?
Years ago We hunted a nearby swamp on SGL, and I’ll never forget that “ thunder” sound at daybreak coming from 79.
I couldn’t believe it.

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page