First timer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

First timer

I'm in my mid thirties and this will be my first year going after waterfowl. I've always seen ducks and geese when I'm out fly fishing that time of year on state land and want to try walking some of those same streams and jump shooting some ducks. I don't know if this is frowned upon by other waterfowlers kind of like fly fishing and not using a dry fly. I also have a few other questions listed below:

Do you really need a 3 up to 3.5 inch mag for the kind of hunting I want to try? All I really know is you need non toxic shot and the general no larger than 10 gauge, etc...

How easy/difficult is it to identify at range the type of ducks/geese you want to get a limit? Other than Canada geese and mallards my flying waterfowl identification could use a lot of work.

I applied for a blind at Pymatuning and if I get lucky do I really need a bunch of decoys(or is this more of a pass shooting scenario)? I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars buying a bunch of decoys just to try something once for now.

I'd also like to try and hunt out of my kayak on larger bodies of water in back channels. I've read about powered boats and the like, but is shooting from a kayak(paddle powered only) legal? I know it would make retrieval much easier.

Thanks for any and all advice.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:22 PM

Welcome
You can pm me, and I might be able to answer a few questions.
bohunr likes this.

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 AM

Get your self a pocket guide called " Ducks at a distance". Good reference guide for birds. You can keep it with you while hunting. Don't worry about limits. Set your site on one bird a trip. When you get the first bird in the bag try for the second bird. You'll most likely have many more days of one or two birds than limits. Where you are seeing birds now doesn't mean that they will be there come fall. Jump shooing is just one method of hunting. Sometimes it can be productive and some times not.

Yes hunting from a kayak is legal.
bohunr, Dogface and rcshank85 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:39 AM
The Man

I use to jump shoot ducks a lot. It is great sport and not easy. It requires a lot more skill, stealth and patience than other methods like sitting in a blind.

Spunky has a lot of good points but I'd suggest keeping that book with you whenever your in the field and refer to it whenever you see waterfowl. It may take some time but after awhile it will become second nature. BTW there are a lot of good videos on YouTube about waterfowl ID. With the videos you get to see the real ducks in flight and that is a big part of identification. Different ducks have different flight characteristics and at a distance that is the only way to begin the identification process.

One more point. Since they cut back the limit on Mallards identifying them is going to become more important this year. Where I hunt I see way more Mallards than anything else especially in the early season. Now we can only shoot two mallards with one hen. We are going to have to be extra careful.

Good luck!
bohunr and rcshank85 like this.

Last edited by Dogface; 07-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Yes some people frown on jump shooting, or shooting birds on the water i'm sure. Never stopped me from doing either

I use 3in shells regularly. 3.5" I think is overkill except for passing shots on geese. Depends on what shot you're using. I would say a 3" No.2 Steel shot is probably the most commonly used shell.
rcshank85 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for all the advice! I'm sure my employer will enjoy all the duck identification videos I'll be watching during my breaks for the next couple of months.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:14 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshank85 View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I'm sure my employer will enjoy all the duck identification videos I'll be watching during my breaks for the next couple of months.
They will probably be more acceptable than some of the other stuff out there.
Settingduck likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Part of the Community

rcshank85,

If you are lucky enough to draw a blind at Pymatuning, you don't need a hundred full bodies to go. They rent silhouettes at the Management bldg. and are always willing to lend advice on setup and calling. I have noticed that the further into the season you get the better it is to let the birds think the blind is empty. Its not their first rodeo.
rcshank85 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Jump shooting is a fine way to start out, most of us all either did it, or still do it!! Only way to really ID birds is get out there and experience it. I know from jump shooting myself, most of the birds will be flying away from you. Mallard drakes and hens are pretty easily ID'd, since the drakes will have white some white on the tail as they are flying away, hens usually do not.

Only thing that makes "jump shooting" or "pass shooting" unacceptable to me, is shooting at birds out of range. Just like guys who decoy, that shoot at birds out of range, same thing, sky busters.

Just gotta get out there and do it, learn as you go. You will make some mistakes and learn from them, it's the best way to do it.
quackmaster4 and rcshank85 like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaterfowler1 View Post
rcshank85,

If you are lucky enough to draw a blind at Pymatuning, you don't need a hundred full bodies to go. They rent silhouettes at the Management bldg. and are always willing to lend advice on setup and calling. I have noticed that the further into the season you get the better it is to let the birds think the blind is empty. Its not their first rodeo.

I've thought about leaving the decoys in the truck on more than one occasion when up there. Like you said - they definitely get edgamacated quick up there with all the skybusters. Wouldn't have to carry all that crap out there with you either just to watch the blind next to you shoot at birds 90 yards high.
awaterfowler1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page