Monofilament vs Tangle-free - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Monofilament vs Tangle-free

I need to re-rig some of my decoys and I was thinking about switching to clear monofilament. The black tangle free line that Iím using now is easily seen in clear water and I often wonder if that causes birds to not commit. Anyone using clear mono on their decoys, and if so, any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had been using black tip-up line never noticed the birds flaring from the line(if the ducks are that close they should be dead) but I changed over to 65 lb test Berkley braid in green. I pick it up cheap at a flea market put it on my musky outfit and still had enough left to do my decoys(about 30) with app. 6' drops.

ďWould it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?Ē Douglas Adams
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:43 PM
The Man

I use Tangle free in green or black. I never saw any reason to believe the ducks could see it. It is thicker and I think much easier to handle in cold wet weather than mono or weed wacker line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I mostly use the black tangle free line ... them seeing that line and flaring off it is way down the list of things i'm worrying about.

If I was to use something like mono or fluro - I'd want it as thick as I could just to make it easier to handle and less likely to tangle or knot. I have a few that still have some old decoy string on them there's knots in all those lines.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 PM
The Man

I use this stuff for my long lines. It would probably work great for decoy line.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Iím not concerned so much about birds flaring once committed as much as not being able to even get them turned and interested. Sometimes birds will pass on by and not even give a second look, so I was wondering if maybe they were seeing the lines in really clear shallow water. Iím pretty far down in the SE corner of the state and the ducks have probably seen quite a few spreads by the time they get to me. From what everyone is saying though, it sounds like itís not worth making the switch.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 AM
The Man

Where are you hunting with water that clear? Somebody's swimming pool?
Settingduck likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send the dog out and stir up the mud in the water a little bit....feeding ducks likely are not sitting in perfectly clear water - as they are looking for food on the bottom, stirring up mud.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settingduck View Post
Iím not concerned so much about birds flaring once committed as much as not being able to even get them turned and interested. Sometimes birds will pass on by and not even give a second look, so I was wondering if maybe they were seeing the lines in really clear shallow water.
Sometimes its not anything you're doing wrong or anything they're seeing - sometimes its just that there's other places they'd rather be or were headed. Especially if they don't even look at you & just keep on going without breaking a wing beat.
Dogface likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP66 View Post
Sometimes its not anything you're doing wrong or anything they're seeing - sometimes its just that there's other places they'd rather be or were headed. Especially if they don't even look at you & just keep on going without breaking a wing beat.
Yep, thatís likely the case. I was just doing some thinking about what I could do to tweak my my game to make the most of the few times I can get out. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page