Bucks County Area Waterfowl Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Bucks County Area Waterfowl Hunting

Hey all!

Pretty new to duck hunting. Did a guided hunt on the Susquehanna last year around Harrisburg. However, I live in Bucks County.

In preparation for the upcoming waterfowl season, any recommendations on where to hunt? I'm thinking the Delaware river, but am concerned about how that works since half of the river is "in" New Jersey + I'm guessing its way overhunted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:47 PM
The Man

The boundary line is the center line of the main flow of the river. In the tidal area it is about in the center of the river but it does vary. In the non-tidal area it depends on the location of the main flow. I know of one location where the main flow is 30' off the NJ shore but about 200 yards off the PA shore. There charts showing the main flow.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
The boundary line is the center line of the main flow of the river. In the tidal area it is about in the center of the river but it does vary. In the non-tidal area it depends on the location of the main flow. I know of one location where the main flow is 30' off the NJ shore but about 200 yards off the PA shore. There charts showing the main flow.
There is a lot of good duck hunting in New Jersey. Of course you will need a NJ license but it is worth it. I used to hunt Absecon, Brigantine, Jarvis sound and other areas and had a ball. The Delaware state line between NJ and PA is very subjective and I would never hunt there without both licenses, ducks don't always fall where you shoot them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:03 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
There is a lot of good duck hunting in New Jersey. Of course you will need a NJ license but it is worth it. …... The Delaware state line between NJ and PA is very subjective and I would never hunt there without both licenses, ducks don't always fall where you shoot them.
All of the Delaware River / Bay water between NJ and DE is in DE up to the high tide line and you need a DE license to hunt anywhere on the river between those states. Fortunately there is a recognized boundary between PA & NJ so either license is recognized in their respective states.

I hunt NJ more frequently than PA and I can get to my spots in NJ quicker than most of the PA spots on the river. NJ is better hunting.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would make sure I had a hunting lisence from both states while on the river. I dont trust Jersey.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
I would make sure I had a hunting lisence from both states while on the river. I dont trust Jersey.
I have permission to hunt a group of islands in the upper river. We would put in from PA. Many time the cops from NJ would be waiting at the ramp to tell we couldn't hunt the islands. They could never explain why not and we ignored them.

I knew the man who handled real estate issues for the island's owner. He gave me a copy of the deed for the islands and the real estate tax bill. It showed they were in PA and not NJ. I gave copies of both to the guys I hunted with. One day my friends pulled up to the ramp and the NJ cops were there along with the PA township cops. They presented the deeds and the PA cops recognized the owner's name. The NJ cops were sent home and we never had another issue.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 AM
The Man

BTW I have a published chart that shows the state line. I'll get the info on where you can get a chart. I think it is still in publication.

CYA with paper.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Naziland water cops really love making the law up as they go along. Not the first story like that I heard.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:25 PM

I picked up a set of maps from the Delaware Shad guys at a show a while back. It is in sections all the way down to the tidal area and shows launches, channels, rapids, the boundary line and probably a few other things... LOL. Very nice set I got it mainly for fishing from Easton north into the Park.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Part of the Community

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPSU View Post
Hey all!

Pretty new to duck hunting. Did a guided hunt on the Susquehanna last year around Harrisburg. However, I live in Bucks County.

In preparation for the upcoming waterfowl season, any recommendations on where to hunt? I'm thinking the Delaware river, but am concerned about how that works since half of the river is "in" New Jersey + I'm guessing its way overhunted.
Never hunted NJ and don't have a boat so that limits me to field hunting but just a heads up the last 4 seasons been pounding the pavement so to speak knocking on doors even tried letter writing asking to hunt numerous properties to no avail. Save the gas $$$$ aggravation and go with a guided hunt.
Good luck and be safe

keepin' it reel...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in