Presque Isle Boats - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Presque Isle Boats

Is a Carstens Mallard suitable for hunting some of the blinds? I know weather and waves can get big at times. Also it is not registered as I use it on mostly private ponds. I see a PFBC launch permit & a DCNR launch permit. Can I use either or do I need strictly the DCNR one since PI is State Park?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM

All but maybe 5 blinds can be reached by foot, if you know where you're going and the lake level doesn't rise. I wouldn't say a Mallard is totally unsuitable, but you'd better know your limits. I personally have an 8' rowboat that suffices for most days. But it's wide, deep and heavy so it can take more than a canoe. Generally I only use it for transporting gear, and only using to retrieve birds that can't be reached on foot.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Can't speak on if it's suitable. But on your other issue as long as it is non - motorized a launch permit is good at both state parks + PFBC property(doesn't matter which agency you buy from). However if you put a motor(including elect) then it needs to be registered through the PFBC(also good at both).

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
DDX
Frequent Contributor

No motor, it is very similar to canoe. I actually can put it on a cart and haul gear in it. I would really only use it to retrieve birds and set decoys if water to deep.

Is the water shallow enough to wade and set decoys around most blinds?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDX View Post
No motor, it is very similar to canoe. I actually can put it on a cart and haul gear in it. I would really only use it to retrieve birds and set decoys if water to deep.

Is the water shallow enough to wade and set decoys around most blinds?
Yes. It is shallow enough to wade around most blinds. I think your boat is fine for most blinds in most days. Get a launch permit and you are good to go.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 AM

My vote is for the PFBC unpowered registration. That is good anywhere in the state. As I understood it the DCNR permit is only good at DCNR facilities. I just pay the extra for a PFBC powered registration, $22 unpowered/permit, $26 powered. It's good for two years, I can go anywhere I want to and if I put a motor on(including electric)I'm good.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Both launch permits are good at either location. I'm not sure what the advantage of unpowered registration is, since once you put an electric motor on a boat, you are no longer unpowered.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Be careful with a small boat at PI, it can get you into a bad situation and quickly. When I have a blind I use a small one too but usually place decoys in the dark by wading (caution here too) then move the fakes and retrieve with the boat. Another caution if the wind gets wild, skip the boat!! Good Luck.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page