NJ 2019-20 Migratory Bird - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OAWC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

NJ 2019-20 Migratory Bird

The 2019-20 migratory bird hunting seasons have been finalized. Notable highlights include:

The mallard bag limit was reduced to 2 mallards with not more than 1 hen.

The brant season was reduced to 30 days and will only occur during part of the duck season. The bag limit is unchanged at 2 birds.

The Regular Canada goose season was reduced to 30 days in the North and South Zones and the bag limit reduced to 2 birds. The Regular Canada goose season in the Coastal Zone will be concurrent with the 60-day duck season with the bag limit reduced to 2 birds.
The pintail daily bag limit was reduced to 1 bird.

Atlantic Flyway states, which includes New Jersey, have moved to a duck harvest management system referred to as "Multi-Stock Adaptive Harvest Management". Although this will not result in any noticeable changes in regulations, it is a fundamental change in duck harvest management science and policy.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service will allow states to choose special hunting days for Veterans and Active Military. NJ will hold those days concurrent with the special Youth Hunting Days.

For detailed information see biologist Ted Nichols' article, 2019-2020 Migratory Bird Season Information and Population Status.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ar...ce=govdelivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 AM
The Man

The Coastal Zone gets to hunt ducks till January 31st this year, I like that.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/...ig_seasons.pdf

Bet Pa duck season ends before that.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM
The Man

The AP of geese are really taking a hit. Here's hoping the Spring weather cooperates better this year.

CANADA GEESE
The "regular" Canada goose seasons in New Jersey's North and South Zones are based on the status of Atlantic Population (AP) Canada geese which nest on the Ungava Peninsula of northern Quebec. The AP is New Jersey's primary migrant Canada goose population. After a period of population stability dating back to the early-2000s, the breeding population has declined for the past 3 consecutive years culminating in an 18-year low of 112,000 breeding pairs in 2018.

Poor gosling production due to chronically late Arctic springs appears to be driving the population decline. Gosling production has been below average for 7 of the past 10 years with 2018 being an unprecedentedly poor year. During most years, banding crews in northern Quebec band over 1,500 goslings annually and see thousands more. In 2018, those crews banded zero goslings, and observed less than 50 goslings. Due to this poor status, the "regular" Canada goose season will be reduced to a 30-day season with a 2-bird bag limit in the North and South Zones.

Because the Coastal Zone has relatively few band recoveries from AP Canada geese, it was re-designated as a North Atlantic Population (NAP) beginning in 2019. NAP geese nest in low density throughout the boreal forest of Labrador and Newfoundland and winter primarily along the Atlantic Coast from the Canadian Maritimes to North Carolina. The NAP harvest strategy calls for a 60-day, 2-bird bag limit in areas including New Jersey so the Regular Canada goose season in the Coastal Zone will occur concurrent with the duck season.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Interesting that we have chronically late Arctic springs hurting gosling production, but we are in the midst of intense global warming. Makes me chuckle....and not the poor gosling production - that stinks, but the global warming craze makes me chuckle.
Goosehunter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in