2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Woodie Question

Hey,

I am extremely new to waterfowl hunting. I had a quick question regarding the habits of wood ducks.

I have recently found a pocket of them this spring. Will they typically be living in the same general areas in the fall as they are found now?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Part of the Community

All depends on weather and dates of the season
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperDerek View Post
Hey,

I am extremely new to waterfowl hunting. I had a quick question regarding the habits of wood ducks.

I have recently found a pocket of them this spring. Will they typically be living in the same general areas in the fall as they are found now?

Thanks!
They are getting ready to nest right now, when the young leave the nests they will stay in the same area till they young can fly, not necessarily the same place because the hen will lead them away from the nesting area. In the fall when they migrate the best place to find concentrations of them is moving water with oak trees on the banks, however they will use ponds and rivers when migrating. You will need to scout areas you want to hunt in the fall because they are staging for the migrations at that time and move around to find food and shelter. That said, if you found them in the spring, you will more than likely find them there in the fall for a while if they do not get pressured.
quackmaster4 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperDerek View Post
Hey,

Thanks!
They are getting ready to nest right now, when the young leave the nests they will stay in the same area till they young can fly, not necessarily the same place because the hen will lead them away from the nesting area. In the fall when they migrate the best place to find concentrations of them is moving water with oak trees on the banks, however they will use ponds and rivers when migrating. Woodies and teal are some of the first to migrate . You will need to scout areas you want to hunt in the fall because they are staging for the migrations at that time and move around to find food and shelter. That said, if you found them in the spring, you will more than likely find them there in the fall for a while if they do not get pressured. I had a winding wooded creek with oaks and other trees along the banks. I would hunt them once a year by slowly wading the stream and It was nit unusual to come around a bend in the stream and come upon a dozen birds in the water and or sitting on a log in the water. I would take a pair and them be done hunting them for the season. It was the same creek every year. I hung about a dozen woodie nesting boxes on trees along that stream to make sure they had places to nest.
quackmaster4 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 04-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks Woods walker! I appreciate the response!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page