Annual Game Commission Waterfowl Briefing To Be Held March 15 In Luzerne County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Annual Game Commission Waterfowl Briefing To Be Held March 15 In Luzerne County

Representatives of waterfowl organizations, interested hunters and the public are invited by the Game Commission to attend a briefing on March 15 on the status of Atlantic Flyway waterfowl populations and proposed federal frameworks for the 2019-20 waterfowl hunting seasons.

The briefing will begin at 1:00 p.m., at the Game Commission Northeast Region Office, 3917 Memorial Highway, Dallas, PA 18612-0220.

“Although the annual waterfowl meeting has typically rotated between locations in northwestern and southeastern Pennsylvania, waterfowl hunters in northeastern Pennsylvania long have expressed interest in holding the briefing in this portion of the Commonwealth,” said Jeremy Stempka, Game Commission waterfowl biologist. “With the Northeast Region’s new headquarters facility now available for use, the time seemed right to respond to this request. We hope to see both regular attendees and new participants at this year’s meeting.”

In addition to reviewing frameworks established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for upcoming waterfowl and migratory bird seasons, Game Commission staff will provide updates on current and planned research and management programs, as well as past hunting results.

Public comments will be accepted at the meeting; by sending a letter to: Pennsylvania Game Commission, Bureau of Wildlife Management, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797; or via email through [email protected].

Based on public comments and results of previous hunter surveys, Game Commission staff will prepare and present recommended waterfowl and migratory bird seasons, bag limits and related criteria to the USFWS for final approval.

All migratory bird-hunting seasons and bag limits must conform to frameworks set by the USFWS. States select their hunting seasons within these established frameworks.

There no longer are separately timed selections and announcements for “early” and “late” seasons. All selections will be made and announced at the same time, and will appear in the 2019-20 Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest.

For more information on waterfowl hunting and conservation, visit the Game Commission’s Waterfowl Hunting Regulations webpage. Management Area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 PM

anyone attend? whats out there for proposals?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 AM
The Man

Would be nice if the PGC could get this info out a bit earlier than last year, I'm trying to setup my vacation dates for waterfowling.
Anyway, I sent an email to the PGC asking when we can expect the finalized dates.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:07 AM
The Man

Maryland issued their proposed dates a couple weeks ago.
Wonder how PA is gonna handle this 30 day goose season?

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Do...s-Proposal.pdf

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks for posting that Goosehunter. Very interesting. Hopefully we will have a good nesting year this year for the AP geese.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
Would be nice if the PGC could get this info out a bit earlier than last year, I'm trying to setup my vacation dates for waterfowling.
Anyway, I sent an email to the PGC asking when we can expect the finalized dates.
I think this link will get you to the proposed seasons from the PGC March planning session. About 27 minutes in is the waterfowl presentation.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 PM
The Man

Got a response to my email question on when the dates will be released.
Looks like a couple more weeks.

Hey Charlie,
Overall things went well at the Symposium. This was the first year it was held in the NE region. It was nice seeing some new faces and getting a chance to chat with hunters. To answer your question, the proposed frameworks are currently being reviewed within the agency. It may seem like a simple process to pick season dates. However, keep in mind that we are also reviewing proposed seasons for mourning doves, wood cock and other webless species as well. After finalizing the season dates, they must be submitted to the USFWS for review finalization. I would say we are certainly further along in the process than we were at this time last year. I don’t want to be overly optimistic but we are hoping to have things wrapped up in a few weeks.
Thanks!
Jeremy

Last edited by Goosehunter; 04-05-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 PM
New Arrival

I read somewhere that part of the problem was Canada’s long season and liberal limits. Has anyone heard if Canada is reducing their season and limits to help with the declining populations?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page