The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Let's Talk Snow Geese

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Ted b 
#1 ·
Been some Snows flying over my house and now today MC has the first Migration Update.
February 8th:
Groups of birds have started to arrive at Middle Creek. The warm spell we had in the middle of the week allowed the main lake to unfreeze in certain areas and melt most of the snow covering nearby fields. At this point there are roughly 10,000 snow geese. With the forecasted weather to stay above freezing, the bulk of the migration should be starting shortly. Remember, snow goose numbers can change dramatically in hours and the best times to see them at Middle Creek are at dawn and dusk. Today, most of the birds left Middle Creek to feed around 6:45 AM. Other waterfowl species are starting to arrive in masses including many duck species, Canada geese, and Tundra swans.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationResources/AboutUs/ContactInformation/Southeast/MiddleCreekWildlifeManagementArea/Pages/MigrationUpdate.aspx

Reactions: Settingduck
#4 ·
Funny it looks to me like there starting South hunted 2 days in a row out on the salt marsh in southern Nj and almost all birds after say 10 am where high flying migator headed south moth back north. Mc might want to keep eye out and see which direction the birds are coming from post there reports. As for rest of it we will get busy at end of next week when Nj CO season starts. Delaware starts back up after youth day so should be fun

#7 ·
Typical up and down for this time of year.

February 11th:
Snow goose numbers have dropped with snowfall in the area. Tundra swans and Canada geese numbers are holding strong but Snow goose numbers are down. The weather will play a role this week in snow goose migration patterns, but their numbers could pick up later in the week after the current weather system moves through.

Snow Geese: 2,500
Tundra Swans: 500
Canada Geese: 2,500

#11 ·
Man, if that isn't how it always goes Charlie haha. Can't count the number of times I've sat there starring at a field I can hunt just watching them pile in knowing tomorrow won't be a good hunting day. That's when I like to remind myself that I'm a terrible snow goose hunter and if I was hunting that field they'd all just be flying over top of me flipped me the 'bird' on their way to the giant feed down the road haha. Makes me feel better.

#12 ·
Went and hunted Tuesday morning on the bay from daylight to when I had to head back in at noon all birds except the stale ones where coming in from the north must’ve seen 5 to 10k worth. Still getting reports of birds in Carolina and sova. Also talked few guys from lake region who said that most there birds just went south. Bombay hook # has doubled since the beginning of the month. Just saying this weather has all birds screwed up

#13 ·
Same thing happening at MC, the birds are coming and going on a daily basis.

2019 Snow Goose Migration Updates
Thursday February 21:
Winter weather has waterfowl as confused as we are! Snow goose numbers continue to fluctuate throughout the day. The day after Presidents Day we reported 15,000 snow geese roosting on the lake. Shortly after our post, birds started arriving by the thousands. By noon we were at 60,000 birds! Surprisingly 50,000 of them left the lake at sunset and headed west to roost for the night. Now with the fields covered in a crusty ice layer, I anticipate our numbers will not be that high again until most of it melts. Warmer temperatures the next few days will again bring the geese hopefully after the weekend.

Tundra swan and Canada goose numbers also increased with the weather system that moved in. Peak migration could happen over the next two weeks but only time will tell.

Timing couldn’t be more perfect for our a celebration of the Game Commission’s history. Join us on March 2nd as we celebrate not only the snow goose migration, but the addition of the new Conservation Heritage Museum at Middle Creek. Retired Game Commission personnel will be on site to show case items that display the importance of Pennsylvania’s rich conservation heritage! There will be raffles And even a live Duck Banding demonstration! We hope to see you there!

Snow Geese: 15,000 (fluctuates throughout the day)
Tundra Swans: 3,000
Canada Geese: 2,000

#14 ·
You do understand that they are not recording which way the birds are going. Even with warm lower mid-Atlantic is having almost all birds being seen are head south as of today the flats at Bombay hook had over 50k snow geese on it with 98% of them coming in from the north. Ask them hard question which way are they head you will get the same answer I got we only report number of snow seen on the water

#18 ·
Monday, February 25:
Snow free fields and open water…. Check! Today’s morning count revealed our highest number of snow goose yet this season. Other waterfowl numbers have stayed roughly the same but we are continuing to see a greater diversity in ducks including mallard, American black duck, northern pintail, American wigeon, gadwall, green-winged teal, northern shoveler, ring-necked duck, lesser scaup, hooded merganser, and common merganser.

Totals for today include:

Snow Geese: 85,000
Tundra Swans: 3,500
Canada Geese: 2,000

This Saturday from 10-2 at Middle Creek Visitors Center.
Live Duck Banding starts at 10:30
Timing couldn’t be more perfect for our a celebration of the Game Commission’s history. Join us on March 2nd as we celebrate not only the snow goose migration, but the addition of the new Conservation Heritage Museum at Middle Creek. Retired Game Commission personnel will be on site to show case items that display the importance of Pennsylvania’s rich conservation heritage! There will be raffles And even a live Duck Banding demonstration! We hope to see you there!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.