• 1 Post By RacksnQuacks
  • 1 Post By DrakesOnly
  • 1 Post By Mark Ramela
  • 1 Post By Whaler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

RP Zone 3rd Split Opener

Haven't hunted geese too much this year, but finally got out yesterday on a good feed and took a 4 man limit. But this is more about what happened to us during the hunt. We showed up to the field at 530 and had decoys out, blinds brushed, and trucks moved by 640. Another small group of guys pull in at 645 and hunt across the road from us about 500 yards away at a pond. No big deal, they have permission. We knew we were on the X and there were plenty of birds to work with. First group was 3 birds and they go straight to the other guys and they shoot them, no big deal, good for them. All the flocks are now coming to us. There are a couple small groups (1-4 birds) that come right in and we shoot. They are also some bigger groups of 25-40 that work the spread before they drop in and as they are working, the guys at the pond are shooting their guns in the air to try and scare the birds away from us. Don't understand why someone tries to ruin your hunt and their own at the same time. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Also, Waterfowling 101, if you hunt water, you may want a dog or a boat, or at least a fishing pole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 29613.jpeg (219.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg 29615.jpeg (52.8 KB, 34 views)
RacksnQuacks and OAWC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

private land or public?

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM

He mentioned permission so I am going to assume private. We've had it happen to us. Jerks are everywhere. Pull in at the last minute, practically set up on top of you, put out about a dozen decoys and skybust at birds circling the spread. Meanwhile we get there really early set up 9+ dozen decoys, brush in the layout blinds and still have time for some doughnuts and laughs. We have invited guys to join in with us that are at least courteous and might not be having any luck. This is one of many stories but is a little old. I haven't had time to waterfowl hunt in quite a few years. I am missing it and need to make time.
CKu5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Nice hunt.... It happens a lot to us. Almost exclusively while hunting public but I could see it happening with neighboring private areas also. I used to first chalk it up to ignorance and just thought they need to be better educated, but I now assume it's more nefarious. There are people who wake up in the morning with that pile pic on their mind, and if it doesn't look like they're going to get it, the desperation and unfortunately jealousy comes out. It really can bring out the best and the worst in people. You saw what happens when it brings out the worst.
CKu5 likes this.

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yep, it was private land. Both sides owned by the same people. I was hunting with the landowners nephew, so its possible the other guys will no longer have permission. Hope it was worth it to them to do that. Its weird, much of the duck hunting I do is on public land and I've had no incidents yet (knock on wood). But I've had a couple other incidents on private ground. Maybe some people need to repeat their hunter education course and learn about ethics and sportsmanship...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had this happen to me on the early season duck opener in the south zone. My group got set-up where we wanted to be at 4:00 am in the morning. Three guys in a boat came at us about an hour later and saw we were there. They parked their boat 300 yards up the lake on the right of us and shot at every single bird that came our way. They were shooting at birds 200-250 yards away from them across the other side of the lake. Most of the birds flared off or gained altitude real fast. We only got 2 wood ducks and we should have gotten a lot more than that. Oh was I mad.
CKu5 likes this.

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Congrats on a great hunt in spite of the jerks. I had something similar happen to me last year. I decided to hunt one afternoon and figured I would hunt our only pit blind. I was alone and drove up to the pit and was surprised to see a couple trucks parked ~ 200 yds away and then I could see a big spread of decoys about 150 -200 yds past that. All on a neighboring property. I didn't have my layout blind with me and only had 18 full body decoys so I figured I would set up and they would draw some flocks in and then maybe they would come over to me after they shot. Well it was a pretty slow evening but I had a group of 5 circle checking out my dekes when I hear 2 of the trucks car alarms going off. About 15 min later I had 3 come right in and again the truck alarms go off. Luckily it didn't stop the geese from coming in and I got 2 out of the 3. I was checked by a game warden at the same spot and told him about this incident and he told me next time video it and it is hunter harassment.
CKu5 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page