Duck hunters encouraged to take online survey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Duck hunters encouraged to take online survey

Release 70-18

Mallard bag limit expected to be cut next year; opinions sought on long-term management.

Due to declines throughout the northeastern United States, the daily bag limit for mallards in the Atlantic Flyway for the 2019-20 seasons likely will be reduced to two per day, and Pennsylvania’s waterfowl hunters are encouraged to participate in an online survey that will contribute to developing a longer-term management strategy for Atlantic Flyway mallards.
Mallards are the most common duck species harvested in Pennsylvania, accounting for about half of the state’s total duck harvest.
Most mallards harvested in Pennsylvania travel from breeding areas in eastern Canada and the northeastern United States.
But while mallard populations appear relatively stable in eastern Canada, throughout the past 15 to 20 years, populations have declined by about 40 percent in the northeastern United States.
Pennsylvania’s breeding mallard population has declined by about 50 percent.
As an interim step in addressing these declines, the Atlantic Flyway Council has recommended, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has preliminarily approved, a reduction in the species-specific daily bag limit for mallards in the Atlantic Flyway beginning in the 2019-20 hunting season. The bag limit will be reduced from four mallards (of which no more than two may be hens) to two mallards (of which no more than one may be a hen).
In the longer term, Atlantic Flyway managers are developing a harvest strategy to guide harvest regulations for mallards. In addition to data on the biological sustainability of various levels of harvest, strategy development will require information on hunter preferences.
To begin gathering hunter preference information, a flyway-wide hunter survey has been developed. Pennsylvania waterfowl hunters are encouraged to visit https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4644908/AF-mall-PA and respond to the 5- to 10-minute survey. Responses are desired from both avid duck hunters, and those who hunt ducks only occasionally.
The survey will remain open until Nov. 23.
“Different hunters and hunters in different areas might have differing opinions on how mallards best can be managed to provide the best hunting experience, both now and decades from now,” said Ian Gregg, who heads the Game Commission’s Game Management Division. “Some might prefer less-restrictive bag limits, even though it might mean seeing fewer mallards. Others might disagree.
“But the best way for them to make their voices heard on this issue is to take a few minutes to take the survey,” Gregg said. “All opinions matter.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You do understand there state spefic ie I got a email from Delaware, Maryland,and Nj to take the survey still waiting on pa but again the state does not consider it self a duck hunting state
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:34 PM
The Man

I don't believe it's State specific, I took the Survey from the NJ email I got, then tried to take it again from the PA link and it wouldn't let me.
This is about the Atlantic Flyway.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well I did 3 times and to 3 different people same survey
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No it’s about mid-Atlantic flyway that is how broke down for geese that is what there going to do for ducks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page