creekside/float setup - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

creekside/float setup

Hi,

MY buddy got me into geese hunting from fields which is a blast. The farm we hunt is being sold so we will lose access to it.
I recently moved and found a spot to hunt on the conodoguniet but creek hunting is big difference than field hunting...

With that said, I bought a few floating decoys but they didnt come with line/weights. What is the best set up for floaters? are they all tied together? all independent? Is there books about decoy placement, ect. I have waders and a kayak to use for retrieval.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

No, do not tie them together, all that will do is make a mess and you will get to hear the decoys banging together. Put a decoy line and anchor on each decoy, make the line long enough that the weight will be firmly on the bottom and be a foot or so longer than the water is deep, longer if the creek has a habit of rising with rain. Make sure your anchors have enough weight to keep the decoys from drifting. Put your decoys out in a pattern to leave an opening in front of you for the ducks to land in, they do not like to land too close to other ducks. Buy line that is meant to be used for decoy line, it is stiffer and will have less tendency to tangle than just string. Do not waste your money of that plastic junk called tangle free decoy line, it wants to float and makes your rig look like crap. Do not put your decoys near the bank, you want them where they can be seen by passing ducks, the middle of the creek would be the place to put them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, i figured the layout would be similar to field layouts.

What brand/style of weights and line do you suggest? Ive seen egg weights, long thin weights, triangle. Do you suggest making my own lines?

If so, whats the best way to tie the weights on? the premade ones all appear to be clamped.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Part of the Community

I made these using an aluminum can bottom and copper wire they hold great in current. If I did it again I'd make the wire longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151128_133555-1_1540341693067.jpg (3.41 MB, 18 views)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8_Fudd View Post
I made these using an aluminum can bottom and copper wire they hold great in current. If I did it again I'd make the wire longer.

They are similar to mine. I use a can and fill the bottom with sand. I push a ball or something similar into the sand to make the base rounded. I pour the lead and hold a loop of 12 gage solid wire in the mild of the lead until it sets. I use insulated wire and make the loop big enough to slip over a decoy head and hang below the chest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the great info. I’ll probably buy a pre-made Texas rig style set up to start and adjust once i figure more stuff out..

Why would you make the wire longer?

Next big thing is learning how to make a call sound sorta like a goose... 🙂

Thanks!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshannon View Post
Why would you make the wire longer? Thanks!
So if I hang the loop over the decoys head the weight does not bang against the painted chest of the decoy and mess up the paint. It hangs a little below the decoy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Also remember creek hunting is a little different than field hunting, in the times that the geese will want to be there. If it's cold, the birds may be on the creek first thing, then fly out to feed, then back to the creek, so may be a little later that your seeing geese that actually want in to your decoys. Other scenario is they fly off the main roost to go to the field, then use the creek as a "mid roost". When I first started hunting geese, it was just a pond, so we would see lot of birds fly over in the morning and want nothing to do with us. Then typically about 9:30-10:00, all heck would break loose. Knowing what I know now, that pond was a mid-roost, just a place for the birds to hang out and get some fresh water, until heading back to the field for the evening feed, then back to their main roost for the night.

Good luck, I still love hunting geese over water, just something about it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Banned

I make the same kind of weights by using a muffin pan to pour the lead in, better too heavy than too light. Buy a spool of decoy line and make your own lines. Put a heavy swivel on the end that will attach to the weights. That way you can store the weights separately and you won't have to retie the line to the weights each time you want to use them. You can buy decoy line on line.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You should get permission from the landowner/s for the spot you intend to hunt. In Pa the landowner owns the streambed - if 2 different landowners own the banks then the mid point of the streambed is the property line.

You can legally float down any creek as long as you don't step out either on the streambed or on shore. However any bird that falls on land you would have to trespass to retrieve

There are a few major rivers that the state owns the streambeds... Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill, Susky(main stem + both branches) Juniata, Little Juniata, Allegheny, Monongahela and the Ohio. Everything else in Pa is considered privately owned. Of course if the waterway flows over Gamelands, State Park/Forest or some other public land then you can hunt - unless there are specific restrictions(ie - the Schuylkill River within the confines of Valley Forge National Park - I think)

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page