Any Tips for Hiding in Winter Wheat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Any Tips for Hiding in Winter Wheat

So on our favorite farm they have removed the hedge row where we use to hide. They have harvested the corn, disked it and planted winter wheat. The geese are in there thick already and the wheat is 2-3 inches tall. The owner let me build a blind at an old irrigation pipe that had a nice 8 foot patch of weeds around it. That will work but was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for hiding layouts on what will basically be a lawn. I did a google search and saw the Killer Weed stuff and will probably order some. Other bummer is we can't drive on the fields this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Astro turf.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had the same issue last season, I use stick up blinds though. All we did was brush the blind with "grass", mostly we cut the decorative grasses at our houses, and some of the neighbors houses. The day or so before we wanted to hunt it, I would cut some green bamboo(I happen to have on my property, but i'm sure it's available for the asking), and just break up the brownish color of the grasses. Fresh bamboo kept a lot of green color, for about a week and a half, before turning all tan/brown.

It worked fine. I don't worry about that too much anymore, a lot of guys won't use a "stick up" blind in a bean field either, but I do the same thing with a grass or bean field, grass the whole thing, and throw a little something else in just to break it up a little.

If it's a good field, they will be back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM
New Arrival

Avian X aframe blinds work very well in these situations, you can keep it grassed year round and just dress it up as you need at each spot with some limbs or other brush to make it look more natural.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have used Christmas garland in our blinds when hunting winter wheat fields in the past. The color sometimes does not match exactly, but it's close enough to get them into good shooting range.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

It probably makes the most sense to buy a portable blind like the Avian X or Altan. I'm getting too old and fat for the layouts LOL. Thanks for the input
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pretty easy to build, if your just going to leave them at one spot, I quit layouts llloooonnnnggg ago, due to the old and fat situation. Pit or stick up blinds for me now. Just make them narrow enough to slide between the wheel wells of your pickup. You will get a lot of help when it's time to put it out, usually not as much when you bring it in after the season. So I keep them light, and able to fit in the pick up easily. because they are light(I usually use 2 X 3's), they may not last as long a 2 X 4 pressure treated, but if you already have the old and fat going on, last thing you probably want is a 300 lb. blind to put away on your own.(can ya tell i've done this before?) Plus I put a stake in two opposite corners, tie the blind to them, since they are light, the wind can roll them away.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

dmccoy1,

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want me to leave the blind out in the wheat. He doesn't want me driving on it even with a quad. So whatever I carry out to hunt will have to be removed every time. The blind I made I can leave up the whole season. I made that with 6 metal fence posts, wire fence, camo canvas and then brushed it in. It looks great and i have a couple old resin chairs in there. I have another place where I could use what you describe.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yea, it's weird, some farmers grow that winter wheat to use it, so they don't want you on it. Last two times my guy did it, he said he didn't care what I did, he just puts it in for erosion control, he sprays with round up in the spring, then no till's it. So he doesn't care if it gets messed up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page