Minnesota Man Kills Protected Trumpeter Swans - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Minnesota Man Kills Protected Trumpeter Swans

"The incident remains under investigation, and the Nicollet County attorney’s office will review the reports for possible charges, which include: taking a protected species, having an unplugged shotgun, possession of lead shot, failure to possess a small game license, failure to possess a federal duck stamp, and failure to have HIP (Harvest Information Program) Certification."

What a loser! Click to read the rest of the story.

https://www.southernminnesotanews.co...collet-county/

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Regular Visitor

"The hunter told officials he’d misidentified the swans for geese."

So they were close enough to knock down, but far enough away to misidentify? 2 MASSIVE "white geese"...? Skybusting at anything flying? Also, 2 guys hunting presumably hundreds of yards away identified them but the shooter didn't? lol. This guy is toast.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Banned

Yeah, that is what they all say, they thought they were snow geese. It didn't matter that it was the wrong time of the year. They all got cited, anyone who can't tell the difference between a goose and a swan should not be hunting waterfowl.
bohunr and johnny.v like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

....and throw the key away!!

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Part of the Community

had a blind at pymy management area 2 years ago right up front by the lake , pretty slow morning until 5 sand hills came up over the trees 100 yds in front of us, came up to about 30 yrds and banked toward the next blind to us, was enjoying watching them fly on their way when they opened up on them right over their blind maybe 30 ft high and luckley they missed everyone, we called jerry bish over at the office and he quietly walked up to our blind from behind to talk to us, he said some one also called. he wasn't happy when he left to go talk to them. those cranes where grunting the whole time too. you could here them plain as day.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 PM

That's like the guys that used to get nabbed here netting steelhead.

We ran into some mute swans at Geneva swamp one day. A guy we ran into said to go shoot them. We argued with him a bit, until he pulled his badge out. We still thought it was a trap. Then a PAF&B WCO pulled up, he said shoot them too. We hemmed and hawed and the PGC deputy(can't recall his name) called Jerry Bish and he backed them up... Ok, let's go waylay 'em. Man are them suckers big, 3 shot doesn't work well. Still managed to anchor one. I used to have a photo of my buddy holding it next to the WCO's truck, like to find that again.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Last edited by TRAPJAW; 09-27-2018 at 08:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Part of the Community

so trap what was the purpose they wanted them shot in pa.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They want them shot everywhere. Pretty invasive. They eat a lot of the tender vegetation that other waterfowl depend on. When migrating swans stop by, they eat the same thing, but that's only for maybe 2-3 weeks. The mute swans are here 365 days a year, eat out a lot of habitat.

I heard they do it all the time on the Chesapeake, they really don't want them down there for some reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page