A question for the goose gurus - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccoy1
  • 1 Post By Windwalker7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Let's say you go to a small lake at sunset and see no geese, is it possible that geese will go to the lake after dark and be there at sunrise?

The reason I ask, is that I will be going to a small lake that is part of the Westmoreland county parks. They are having special hunts to try and help solve the goose problem. If you didn't know, there are a couple small lakes at different parks in Westmoreland county. They have issues with geese making a mess of the walking paths and surrounding areas. It creates a bad situation for children and whatnot. So to help alleviate the problem they have been having hunts to allow hunters to shoot the geese. These are on certain weekdays for each lake. The park is closed to everyone else except hunters. Hunts are only until 900 AM.

Anyway, I went to one of the lakes to look for geese this evening and saw none. I basically have zero experience and know little about geese. I was just wondering what chances were that there would be geese there in the morning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

it only takes a small amount of gun fire and those lakes get shot out and the geese relocate. better find a new lake or better yet find the feed area. goose hunting is not a simple process.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEALHNTR View Post
it only takes a small amount of gun fire and those lakes get shot out and the geese relocate. better find a new lake or better yet find the feed area. goose hunting is not a simple process.
That's pretty much the reason for those hunts, to get them to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tough to hunt geese on water only until 9 am. A couple county parks do that here in Chester Co. as well. Geese typically leave the roost first thing in the morning, don't return until mid-morning. Doesn't make sense as a hunter, to hunt where the geese are not going to be during those hours.

TH is very correct, find the feed, hunt them there.
OAWC likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes geese can and do feed after dark in the fields and fly back to the roost pond/lake/stream after dark. Factors include weather, hunting pressure and crazy goose behavior. Mammoth Park Lake, Twin Lakes and Northmoreland Park Lakes can hold some geese and we’ve had some decent shoots at all three. I’ve had my best “park shoots” at Mammoth. Advice: get to the parking area early and walk towards the finger island . I prefer to sit on one of the benches at the curve of the lake. No need for goose calls or decoys. You get one crack at the after the shooting starts then it’s over.

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, they came back to the lake sometime after sunset, when I was there. There must have been about 25. It sounded like a war. Got a short video in the works. Lots of shots fired, very few hitting the water. We each got one. First goose for both of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180905_071336-1_1536170131718.jpg (3.69 MB, 9 views)
Goosehunter likes this.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 09-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM
The Man

Nothing better than your first Goose!

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ramela View Post
Yes geese can and do feed after dark in the fields and fly back to the roost pond/lake/stream after dark. Factors include weather, hunting pressure and crazy goose behavior. Mammoth Park Lake, Twin Lakes and Northmoreland Park Lakes can hold some geese and we’ve had some decent shoots at all three. I’ve had my best “park shoots” at Mammoth. Advice: get to the parking area early and walk towards the finger island . I prefer to sit on one of the benches at the curve of the lake. No need for goose calls or decoys. You get one crack at the after the shooting starts then it’s over.
Not sure if you were there, but I'd have to say, that was pretty exciting this morning. My buddy and I both connected. I'll be posting a video soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker7 View Post
Not sure if you were there, but I'd have to say, that was pretty exciting this morning. My buddy and I both connected. I'll be posting a video soon.
No I wasn’t there this morning Windwalker. I’m actually in Indianapolis today. My experierence has been from past seasons. - Mark

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page