11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl?

I'm new to waterfowl hunting. I know most guys use a semi-auto but it seems that almost nobody uses a Remington 11-87 or a Mossberg 935. Is there some reason why these two guns don't seem to be used much for waterfowl? I'm considering buying one or the other so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have two 12ga mag 11/87 remingtons and I like them, minor cleaning after 400 rounds is all I,ve needed to keep them running.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:08 PM
The Man

I'm not a big waterfowler, but when I do go I take my 11-87. It has served me well for almost 30 years as my primary turkey gun, and does just fine on the water.

I think why you don't see too many Remingtons or Mossbergs in the hands of the die hard crowd is that waterfowling is extremely hard on guns. Guys who do a lot of it need a gun that will hold up to the rigors imposed on their weapons, and when it comes to autoloaders there are a few out there that outperform all others. Benelli and the other inertia driven shotguns produced by Beretta come to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM
The Man

If you look on the waterfowl websites you will find negative comments about both guns. All guns will generate negative comments but the ones you mentioned seem to have more than others.

Take a look at the Franchi Affinity. It has a lot of positive comments and it is priced comparable to the guns you mentioned.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
The Man

Franchi and Stoeger are both owned by Beretta and both are autoloaders that get good reviews at a price point considerably lower than Beretta's Benelli and Beretta shotguns.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:39 AM
PPD

My buddy has a 935 and it is junk. Wont cycle 3.5 inch shells. Any brand of ammo. Sent it back 3 times and still not right. Poor service at mossberg.

Have at it son
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 AM
BHC
Part of the Community

I don't waterfowl hunt at all......But I do own a 3 1187s two are slug guns 12 & 20ga, the other is a Super Magnum 12ga for turkey hunting. When I was in the market for a new turkey gun I wanted a semi, I do love my 835 for turkey. It was between the 935 and the 1187 Super Magnum. It was about a month before turkey season and I couldn't find a 935 new at all, found used ones but I thought the used ones where over priced, I then found a used 1187 super magnum with the shure shot stock for very good reasonable price I jumped on it. You can't go wrong with either one. Remington is having major businesses issues and quality has gone down hill.

My 1187 20ga slug gun I took to the range to check the zero on it this was last year, this shotgun I don't use often.....It accurate but on this day the action would stay open.....Came home, called Remington they said either ship it back to them or take it to a authorize gunsmith, pay the bill and submit the bill to them for reimbursement, they even gave me a authorization #.......So two months go by and my gun is ready for pick up, I faxed the bill over with the authorization number, Remington called me and refused to pay me back they said it was owner's fault, the gunsmith called them in front of me on speaker and said it was a manufacturer issue, weak metal of the action bar picture sent to Remington, they still refused to repay me......Talk about bad business.

Also friend purchased last summer the same 1187 20ga slug gun, first day on the range cycle issues....sent to Remington for repairs, it was returned to him with same issues, sent back they claim customer caused problems, customer must pay for repairs

I wouldn't buy a Remington that is made these days, older ones yes I would
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg post-55-0-12488600-1496424662.jpeg (47.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by BHC; 05-18-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

that realy sucks, I have been a rem man from day one, but that's just plain wrong. I think its the new rem,s that suffer from bad QC. as the only part that ever broke on any of my remingtons was a gas ring on a older well used 1100 I have, I have replaced worn parts tho from long use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0386 (2).JPG (528.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0387 (2).JPG (779.9 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Older Rems, yes, I have two, and would buy another, if it was about 10 years old or so. Don't buy a "sportsman" model, what every you do, if you do go with a 11-87. I love remingtons, but in the rush to compete with companies making "cheap" guns, they did the same thing, offered a "cheap" gun, that is ruining their reputation.

I shoot a Versa Max now for waterfowl, and have had a few issues. As many stated, the 11-87 is good for waterfowl, but if your going to "really" hunt waterfowl, the 11-87 is going to take a beating, and will have some issues with it. The Versa max is made similar to the Benelli/Beretta Waterfowl guns, not a ton of moving parts to make the gun go bang, less to break. Waterfowl hunting guns are used from everything from a piece of precision shooting equipment, to a cane, to a boat oar., to a decoy retriever, to a smack a runaway goose in the head with the stock, to a help me get unstuck outta the mud thing....so they have to be touch, plus it's pretty common for them to at least once in their life, get totally submerged in water.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Both of those guns are junk ... they won’t hold up with any serious waterfowl hunter .... you can usually tell what kind of hunter by the gun they shoot .. benelli SBE’s , berettas & the browning maxis are a 100x better choice ... I have an SBE 2 & an A-400 both have held up well with cases of shells through them with minimal cleaning & I hunt almost everyday of the season . Also , fun fact, when everyone says “they are comparative to a benelli or beretta “ why wouldn’t you just get one ... honestly if you want a mid range price wise gun, go on armslist and get a beretta 390 , they were indescribable, hand fitted parts , and made for 20,000 rounds .. Good luck

Last edited by Big Chris; 05-18-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page