Comorants at Pymatuning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Comorants at Pymatuning

When did all these comorants start showing up?
I was up fishing the other day and couldn't believe how many there were at the spillway and out of off Tuttle point and flying around.
Maybe it's time for a season. Could donate the meat to a zoo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM

This is the first year I've seen them in these kind of numbers. Only made it up once in mid-April, there were thousands upon thousands of them. Docks at linesville looked like they were painted white with crap. My understanding is that it's becoming a common problem in lakes and reservoirs all across the country.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Banned

We have had Cormorants on the Susquehanna river for decades and the numbers have gone from a few to a whole lot. Some states, those with a lot of commercial fish culture business have a obtained a standing depredation order for them so a permit does not have to be issued annually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 AM

They were really bad last Novemener. They are one really tough bird. Have seen them mistaken for geese many times and never seen one dropped. They will eat so many small fish that they have to regurgitate so they can fly. Last year was the first time that I've seen them on the local lakes during the summer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 AM

I've seen them caught near the spillway by crappie fisherman fishing with minnows. Many times.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Banned

I was hunting Mad Horse Marsh in NJ one year with two friends, we each were in our own Barnegat bay sneak box. We had a good morning and ran for the boat ramp. There were two Jersey Game dept boats just off the two boat ramps and an officer on shore at the one ramp. The officers stopped and inspected all boats coming in. They checked us and sent us to the one ramp to pull out, when we got in to the ramp we saw other boats at the other ramp and the officer was pulling Cormorants out of the boats. What was happening was all boats that had legal game were sent to one ramp while all boats with Cormorants or too many ducks were sent to the other ramp with the officer. You wouldn't believe how many Cormorants were killed by those guys thinking they were ducks. The best punishment would have been to make those guys eat those stinky things. You can always tell a Cormorant even far out because they look like they have a neck on both ends when they are flying.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Administrator

I watched a show on one of the nature channels one night about how the Japanese actually use cormorants to fish. When the bird is young they put a ring around it's neck. When the bird grows up that ring is just the right size to allow him to swallow a small fish but not a fish that the fisherman would be interested in. To do the actual fishing the fisherman would put his boat in a likely area, attach a line to the ring, and then turn the bird loose to do the catching. When the bird would surface with a fish too big to gag down the fisherman would reel him in and take the fish. What was really amazing to see was that the fishermen were using a half a dozen birds at a time. They would put the lines between their fingers and somehow over the years these old timers had developed the sensitivity to feel what was going on with each line while the birds were underwater and would keep them from crossing and tangling.
The narrator said that there were only about a half dozen old timers left that still fished that way. He said that the Japanese government subsidizes them now so they don't have to worry about stuff like how many fish they can take to market. That kind of fishing is now considered an art and living history and the government is desperately trying to find someone who wants to learn how to do this to continue the tradition. Unfortunately, the Japanese kids are just like our kids, they'd rather play on their cell phones.

MAGA 2020
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Saw some on the Allegheny river two days ago. First ones I've seen there and it surprised me.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned

DIYA, I saw that same program quite a while back.
DIYASUB likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page