Anyone hunt from an A frame? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Caz
New Arrival

Anyone hunt from an A frame?

I’ve been thinking about constructing a portable a frame that could fit up to 4 people and a dog. Anyone have success hunting from an a frame blind? If so, have you noticed a difference in birds flaring compared to a layout or coffin? Also, if you have any other good off season projects please share...

5B 4B 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Regular Visitor

Caz,

I hunt with an outfitter in New York every year close to Montezuma Wildlife refuge and he uses home made A frames just using old snow fence and metal fence posts. 99% of them are brushed in with corn stalks since most of the blinds are set in picked corn fields. He has one that he places between a corn field and soybean field every year on a green tractor path that he brushes in with of all things cut pine tree branches. All blinds are heavily brushed in! He uses these homemade A frames since most of his clients are senior citizens and some have a hard times sitting up in lay outs. These blinds are used almost every day of the waterfowl season and if the geese/ducks are using the field shooting them has never been a problem from the A frames. I was skeptical at first since they stand out but I've been going there for the last 14 years and have been quite successful. Biggest problem he tells me is as with any blind is clients looking up the geese and ducks when they fly directly over top the blind

DUKMAN
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I either hunt out of a pit or A frame, exclusively. Back issues, plus me just being old, love the comfort. I don't even know where my layouts are anymore, and i'm super happy about that!!

I have noticed no difference at all, and like DUKMAN says, I can't explain it either. We some years get beans planted, so we still put out the stick up blind, brush with grasses, etc. Sticks out like crazy!! The geese really don't seem to care. I'm pretty lucky to have a few farms with exclusive permission, so I can just put my blinds out at the beginning of the season, and leave them until it's over. IF your going to do that, make sure to stake them down, I've picked up many blinds up 100 or so yards from where they were, wind can be nasty sometimes.

I faced the fact a lot of years ago, i'm not counting on killing geese for my livelyhood, or depending on goose meat to stay alive. So i'm going to hunt the way makes the hunt more enjoyable and fun!! Stick ups and pits make it way more enjoyable for me.

Won't hurt to try, what's the worst that can happen? One other thing, I usually make mine light as possible, something that you can handle by yourself if you need to. I've learned over the years, it's easy to get help putting blinds out before the season, everyone is cranked up about the upcoming fun..but normally when it comes time to clean them up in Feb/Mar., i'm usually on my own. I use 2 X 3's for that reason, treated 2 X 4's for the bottom that touches the ground. Makes it light enough you can stand up and flock into the back of a pickup, by yourself.

Last edited by dmccoy1; 04-25-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter if you are in a layout blind or an A-frame. If you pie face birds coming over head you will flare them. The hardest thing to do when you have new hunters is to keep them from wanting to watch the birds until it is time to watch the birds.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Caz
New Arrival

Thanks for the responses. We’re good in layouts but like I said just looking for some other possible offseason activities and curious if anyone had success in the a frame. Jonesin for the fall, fishing doesn’t quite scratch the itch anymore...hopefully turkey will take my mind off it for a while

5B 4B 4D
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know what your saying Woods....but that's the best part!!! Watching them come in. Never gets old....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 PM

I think the key to any blind is brushing it in properly. You could park a truck out there and if it's brushed in properly, you'll kill birds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page