ENOUGH Snow(s) Already!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

ENOUGH Snow(s) Already!!

Ya......I don't ever really saying that when it comes to Snow Geese although I will say that in regards to snow this year. The white stuff that is. Weather, as usual with snow goose hunting, was the determining factor in how we fared this year and a lot of the time the weather was difficult when we chose to hunt. It was either snowing enough to put a layer on the ground which is a kill-shot for running traffic (our bread and butter) unfortunately, or raining which is just straight up annoying to hunt in with socks, or worst of all pea soup fog running traffic....

20181213195520_IMG_6262

Beggars couldn't be choosers though so we just took a bunch of chances, almost none of which worked out. That being said things were not entirely uneventful on those hunts and they are always worthwhile experiences with birds hitting the ground on each and every hunt this year. Even then the weather wasn't helping birds still worked

IMG_20180202_193650

Birds still died in lesser numbers

20181122002359_IMG_5985

20181115215630_IMG_5976

20181213225900_IMG_6269

And most importantly additional info was learned and socked away for future outings.

One of the coolest wildlife events happened on one of our slower hunts this year. While complaining around 10am about the snow sqwal that derailed our AM hunt a group of pigeons approached the setup and Mike, being the blood thirsty animal that he is, smacked one on the pass. The bird dropped about 10 yards off the edge of the decoys and nobody was in a hurry to go grab it. 10 minutes later I noticed what, at the time, I thought was a Cooper Hawk fluttering low up the decoys. Suddenly the bird turns and I muttered 'I wonder if that dang thing sees that pigeon. Sure enough, what I now saw was clearly a Falcon, picked up the pace and just smashed the pigeon for an easy meal. We all just looked at each other wondering if that had really just happened. That was the first Falcon that I'd ever seen in the wild and to see it do that was breath taking.

IMG_20180202_193549

So it took a while to get the gears lubed up at the start of the season but eventually the weather stopped being a complete jerk, the skies dried up, and the wind started to blow a little more. That's when we finally started to get into at least a few groups of birds that had been eluding us most of the year. We did lots of scouting to located what smaller groups of birds were around yet following the VERY early exit north of the masses this spring.

20181213032518_IMG_6239

And when we found them with the right weather things were fun!

20181220190323_IMG_6318

20181221003933_IMG_6344

20181223061835_IMG_6386

One of the best hunts of a season that turned out to be a very good consistent one was an impromptu gathering following a feed that had been in a field for a few days near the very end. There was a sudden change in the wind forecast and while sitting at my desk as work after hearing the birds were still there I got the text that we should hunt and the 3 of us decided a halfer was warranted and took a chance. Thankfully we did because the power-hour we saw was what snow goose hunting is all about. Groups coming over and trees and just giving it up as well as they possibly could.

IMG_20180316_204506

IMG_20180303_145907

IMG_20180316_204237 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It was truly a great hunt and makes the clean up sooo much easier!

As usual, and what seems to happen more and more, things petered out pretty quickly and pretty early. A sign of changing times and nothing ever seems to stay the same in the world of water fowling, that is one thing I know for sure. Each year is different and has it's own flare about it. But as long as those birds keep migrating this far south, which is certainly no sure thing, we'll still be out there chasing them.

20181222203143_IMG_6361

20181222184249_IMG_6348
bigguy54, Dogface, DIYASUB and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 04-16-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Great pics especially the peregrine pic! Saw one catch a pigeon out of the air this summer while fishing below the Conowingo Dam. A pair nests on the Dam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

amazing pics and great story
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 PM

Outstanding, congrats on a great hunt!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM
The Man

Nice write up and some good pics. We didnt see the numbers of snows in my corner like we did last year but they did show up. Trying to put a scout on them would have been real tough this year as they were here and gone as quick as they came. Nice Job.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I think that's a common theme for a lot of folks and was for me as well. Things are changing rapidly with snows in the Atlantic flyway and it's really amazing to watch. A decent % of the snows that visit our area have relocated to a new large roost in an area that isn't really known about (yet) but it's also terrible for being able to hunt them in. Each year more and more have been moving to that area and I'm not sure when and if it will stop or if they'll move back. For all I know most if not all will be on that roost in the next 1-5 years and things will be forever different........yet forever changing in another direction I'm sure. Waterfowl hunting changes every year just the same as farming practices. It's incredible the change in farming locally over the past few years along. Ground cover, biosolids, fall chisel plowing. Nothing ever stays the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page