Argentina, or out West? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Argentina, or out West?

Kicking around some ideas for my 50th Bday this year. Argentina on a dove/duck combo? Oregon or Washington to shoot a Harlequin? My downfall for Argentina is the 14 hour plane ride, plus your shooting ducks you never heard of.

Shooting a Harlequin is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do.

Anyone done either?? I don't like spending big cash blindly, rather have someone who has already gone, and can give good reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM
The Man

My thinking would be to stay in the good old USA.
That being said I went on a Mexico duck hunt for my 50th b-day. It was a good time but looking back there are many places in our country that would have given me the same great memories.
Take along another like minded duck hunter to increase the fun factor!
bohunr, jimsdad and Laylow like this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM

I haven't done either hunt (South America or west coast). I would like to do an Argentina or Uruguay duck hunt before its time to check out. Would like to see that part of the world and ducks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

With the political climate I'd stay in the USA. Have friends that have been to Argentina in the past and loved it. Non stop shooting if you hit it right. Good luck on either hunt.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

If you just want to kill, Mexico or Argentina will give you that opportunity. However if you want to bring your ducks and doves home the USA is the place to hunt. I know people who went to Argentina to hunt doves and ducks, the numbers of birds they said they killed was sickening to me, shooting cases of shells. There comes a pint where it is killing and not hunting for me. Back when water fowling was really good I hunted MD where the bag limit was 10 birds a day on the 100 point system if you stuck to 10 point ducks. None of us ever took more than 5 birds a day even though we easily could have.
DIYASUB, Laylow and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

spent 4 days in valdez shooting ducks
killed 13 species including harli's, and dusky geese
i would do it in a heart beat
the only thing with argentina your gonna pay alot to have your ducks brought back for mounting and sometime you might not be able to bring them back or send to a cites taxi

shooting a CANON 7D II
5D markIII
500 F4
70-200 f2.8
24-70L
17-35 tamaron
1.4 ex
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Goose, did you go with a guide? Would you recommend? PM if you want. Going out to shoot a Harlequin is pretty much what i'm leaning to.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 AM

I was in Valdez Last Summer. I'm sure the docs we saw we're gone as they were nesting. But lots of galdwalls. A local told us they have North America's largest population of harlequin and Barrow's GoldenEye? I don't know if there hunting them in the ocean. But there was lots of areas that you could hunt them on your own without a boat. Creeks and stuff especially when the Tide's out. And lots of areas you can hunt with a boat and they're is boat rentals everywhere. Might be worth doing a couple days guided and try and some on your own. It's a pretty long drive from Anchorage to Valdez. But you can drive like an hour or so from Anchorage and get a ferry that takes you to Valdez. I will be there hunting in September. Not primarily for ducks though. But will probably go for them on our own for a day or two.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I went West (and a bit South) last February. Mazatlan Mexico.

Weather was beautiful. My wife spent the morning at a pool overlooking the ocean. I was back daily by noon. We never felt concerned. Everyone was friendly. Food and drinks were awesome and dirt cheap.

Birds I shot: pintails, GWT, BWT, cinnamon teal, spoonies, and black bellied tree ducks. We targeted only drakes and did not shoot our 20/person each day; but EASILY could have.

I brought a 30quart soft cooler full of prime drakes back through customs as my carry on. All legit with paperwork.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A Mazatlan “PA Limit”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75F40311-289E-4F73-820C-9D99B4EA584C_1519331624710.jpg (901.6 KB, 34 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page