last week - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dmccoy1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

last week

Since some others are posting pics, I guess I'll throw some in.

From my last " froze out " post, a few geese have showed up, and a couple things of interest...

Charlie posted his double banded brant post, and I don't want to take away from that, but that was a Friday, so on Saturday I had prior obligations, so a few geese had showed up, and it was a grey day. So 3 of my buddies grabbed the black silhouettes, and headed to my pit. Needless to say, I got "the texts". Perfect morning, and what do you know, a double banded goose from Ontario...and a limit of geese.

After that, we all left for Maryland, as some others mentioned, cold and ice means ducks normally, but hunting them can be a challenge, Monday was really cold, got run by ice plenty of times, but worth it.

Tuesday brought a "hen" show to town somehow, and a couple wiffs on some drake redheads, made for still a good day, but started giving the hens a pass, but the drake cans just never showed up.

So, one of the guys that was hunting with us in Md. was somewhat of a new waterfowler, and we saw some geese while diver hunting, and he got real excited. I didn't know, but he had never killed a goose before. So I told him, with the snow coming Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning should be a decent day to hunt geese in PA. He agreed, drove from Philly to Chester County in the snow, and it paid off big for him. Just him and I hunted the same pit as my buddies hunted Saturday morning, put out some black flats(which a new waterfowler must have thought I was crazy for using those stupid decoys), and waited. As soon as the snow stopped, I heard a faint honk, as it was cold, and I was hunkered down in the pit. We slowly peak up, and I look left as that's the way most of the birds come from, and I see a flock of about 30, I tell the guy, we have a good chance at these to decoy. He says to me, "what about these"? I look to the front of the pit, and there are 20, feet down, 10 foot off the ground. 2 seconds later, we opened up on them. 3 birds down. Then a single comes, it doesn't leave. 10 minutes later, another flock of 20 does it as perfect as you can do it, right to the hole, last two down. He was on top of the world. I actually feel a little sorry for him, as now he's got the bug real bad, was already telling me before we killed anything how he doesn't even think about deer hunting any more, all he wants to do is hunt ducks. Well now add geese too, I feel sorry for his wallet.
Good luck to all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5.pdf (245.7 KB, 28 views)
Goosehunter and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Black and whites don't work Don

Nice week bro!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Looks like a great week. Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 PM
The Man

All them pretty ducks.
And a double banded goose!

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not many buffs in my pics, I think someone is shooting them all in NJ, before they get to me.......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Part of the Community

Oh man Iím so happy to be seeing posts like this. No smack talk just plain old success and congratulations. Nice work on the ducks in Md. I would love to shoot some cans some day. Canadaís have been so much fun for us and it seems a lot of others this season. No one uses Silos any more. Well then again we do. Especially in the snow. Awesome work man. Season is almost over. Hope you get into them still.

I hate late hunting partners! Always wake up early and be the first one there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What a week! Congratulations!

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Nicely done, Don! Couple beautiful piles there.

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in