Gettin' After it From All Angles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Gettin' After it From All Angles

The ice was rolling down the river in waves the size of school buses at times. Crashing and grinding eerily in the bitter cold darkness. My hunting partner and I stood on the ice shelf over a foot of water starring out into the darkness of the river in silence for what seemed like forever contemplating how the heck we were going to hunt this mess without having all of our gear swept away. Working with ice pockets around the current we did our best to shelter the decoys from danger (as well as ourselves) and got setup and 'comfortable'. The temperature was a balmy 1 degree as I looked over at Mike, the first ducks in the wee light zipped past out of range, their wings whistling as they went, and said 'We have got to be the dumbest people in the world.........." With a slight smile under his face mask he responded with an ever alert simple nod in agreement. So is the life of a late season water fowler I suppose.

The decision to hunt began to pay off as a few ducks here and there took the invitation to the puddle we created. As the sun crested the eastern hillside to our backs its generous heat was a welcome feeling.

IMG_20180101_075547919 by Zak Appleby

As was the generous heat from the Buddy Heaters to our west haha

IMG_20171229_092736073 by Zak Appleby

And thanks to cheating the elements we were able to safely grind out the AM to another successful and fun ending. Cleaning up the decoys was an adventure though.

IMG_20180106_165650 by Zak Appleby

IMG_20180106_110713639 by Zak Appleby

The relatively constant snow cover on the ground has provided some better than normal hunting opportunities for the field. It's a luxury at times to just toss the snow covers on and get at it. Stubbling blinds and hiding from wary late season highly pressured birds can be tedious and tiring at best. Creating quality hides, to assure birds wont detect you, take a LOT of stubble for even just two blinds.

20181030223426_IMG_5446 by Zak Appleby

So when the chance comes to hunt in the snow for hungry birds it's always a nice break. And the birds will often get a little silly.

20181105222028_IMG_5911 by Zak Appleby

and a lot more variety often happens in the snow too.

20181019011736_IMG_5330 by Zak Appleby

and even the unthinkable can happen at times with birds very desperate to feed. In my last post we managed to luck into a White-Front goose that had strayed off its course. A cool moment for any Atlantic flyway hunter but not something you ever expect to happen again. But waterfowl hunting is a perfect example of what how things can happen when luck is rolling on your side and luck certainly was when this pair of Speckle Bellies came dipping and diving right into the decoys.

IMG_20171226_103530 by Zak Appleby

And then there are the hunts in the snow where it's pretty much all Canada's and they just come and come and come in waves.

20181105214025_IMG_5568 by Zak Appleby

They land and start walking up to you at times.

20181105213814_IMG_5536 by Zak Appleby

Or just glide right into the perfect spot..............

IMG_20180117_141054 by Zak Appleby

.............and get smashed haha

20181105213303_IMG_5519 by Zak Appleby

And then you get to pose with your super ultra white, almost blue UV glaring, brand new white hoodie on haha.

IMG_20180117_140856 by Zak Appleby

But it's all fine as long as the birds don't see you! (But yes, I'm going to wash those ;-) ).

And that's a rap on the middle portion of this late season and a rap on duck season altogether. Ducks were a lot of fun this season and the sightings of bird we generally rarely get to see like Pin Tails made the cold easier to handle. Options will be much more limited for the next few weeks with ducks out of the picture and that will be unfortunate as they swarm the spread with little doubt. With any luck I'll get a chance to take a few picture if nothing else. In the mean time hopefully the Canada's will continue to be willing participants and more great times will be had. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 01-18-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome....ICE = DUCKS always.

We fought floating ice Monday and Tuesday in Maryland. Hunt for a half hour, ice would break off, and quick anchor and decoy pickup....repeat about 4 times in the morning...

Great hunting in between picking up decoys. Ice brings the "pretty" ducks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM

Awesome pics as usual. Congrats on a great season so far. Our hunting has picked up a bit since your last post. Had a couple limits mixed with some skunks but having fun. Even a banded goose from Quebec on Monday. A few of us are heading to Arkansas for a 3 day hunt -Sunday -Tuesday. Can't wait for that....never hunted there before. Thanks for the post and pics.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM

Awesome write up. Duck hunting seems like something I would enjoy
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Good pic. U dun good.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Nice Whaler, glad to hear you're having some success. It's important to note, for perspectives sake, that while my posts show what seems like a lot of success, we take our share of stinkers as well so you're not alone. That's waterfowlin' though and there's a story in every hunt.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 01-18-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM

You have some incredible pics there!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Part of the Community

Lovin this post. Thanks for taking the time to write this and post pics. Success is so many ways. With the season ending soon I hope you still get on a few birds. Honestly I love this part of the season. Birds are around. There are less guys out there because they canít hack the cold. You just have to get out and put in some time scouting. We have been crushing this late season. Some how we still have some open water to hunt this weekend. Fingers crossed we have ducks still on the creek. Thanks again for the uplifting post Man. Keep gettin at em.

I hate late hunting partners! Always wake up early and be the first one there.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What blinds are you running this time of year in low cover corn fields?

"I don't shoot well but I shoot often" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page