Goose Calling Issues - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Goose Calling Issues

I'm new to waterfowl hunting. I'm having trouble with my goose calling. I've been practicing and watching instructional videos on You Tube. Sometimes it sounds good, other times bad. It often seems like I run out of air and if I push less air through the call I get either weird sounds or no sound. Are short goose calls easier to blow than a flute type? I have a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II, a Buck Gardner Gander Hammer, and a Zink Power Clucker. Are there single and double reed goose calls like there are duck calls? Are single or double reed calls easier to blow? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 AM

Calling

Check out this series of you tube videos by Field Proven. You can go to the step your having problems with. Keep at it you will get it.

USCG Licensed Captain

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Mark Twain
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Calling Problems

Thanks lockedup!! I really appreciate it. I've watched some on You Tube but hadn't found that series yet. Looking forward to watching it.

Steve

Marlin 336CS .30-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 PM
The Man

Are short goose calls easier to blow than a flute type? Not really. You get more range from a short reed.

I have a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II, a Buck Gardner Gander Hammer, and a Zink Power Clucker. Are there single and double reed goose calls like there are duck calls? Ive never seen a double reed goose call

Are single or double reed calls easier to blow? IMO they are about the same for duck calls. I prefer single.

The PC is a very beginner friendly call. Mastering back pressure for any short reed will be the biggest challenge. It takes practice. Each call has its own qwerks. As an aside, if you have spent any time listening to geese, they make some really weird sounds. I wouldnt get to hung up on your calling prowess. You will be much better served to spend your time scouting for the right field.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Goose Calling

Thanks Buk Huntir!! I keep your advice in mind.

Steve

Marlin 336CS .30-30
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Practice is king, but biggest issue some have with calling is, calling when you don't need to. If the birds are coming to your set up, DONT CALL!! all you can do is mess it up. Once they start not looking interested, then call. Read how the birds react, if they like the calling, call more, if they don't, stop calling. Exact same thing goes with flagging. Some days birds love the calling, just a couple clucks the whole way down, sometimes they don't like.

This is all just my experiences, I in no way have geese "figured out". HAhhahah.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

another good instructional CD is Bad Grammer by Scott Threinen. You can find some of it on youtube.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Banned

If you live where there is a park or pond where geese congregate, take your call and go have a seat somewhere and listen to the geese talking when more birds are coming in to land and try to match the calls. Keep doing it until you get comfortable doing the various calls. It just takes time and the more you do it the better you should get, don't beat yourself up because it doesn't come right away. You can go to places in the summer where geese congregate and listen and practice all summer long til it becomes natural to you..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A great way to practice to get the correct air into the call is to lay flat on your back on the living room floor. This position forces you to use the air from your lungs. It's been three years since I purchased my first short reed goose call. I've spent a lot of hours watching Bad Grammar and Field Hudnall's videos and I've come a long way. I'm by know means a master caller yet, however I've called in a ton of geese this season. Nothing will replace hours of practice time and getting the correct air through the call. Buy a good quality call that you fits your air and stay with that one call until you can produce the cluck, the moan, and the murmur. Every call is a variation/combination of these three notes. Once you've gotten pretty good on the first call you purchased, look for your next call. Not all calls are made the same and some are easier to run than others. My first call was a Field Proven Adrenaline that I bought from Field Hudnall at the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg. If you can make it there, go see Field. He's one of the most gracious and nicest fellows you will ever meet and he'll let you try all of his calls in order to find the right one for you.

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page