Hunting Method Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hunting Method Question

I'm new to waterfowl hunting so I've been asking a lot of questions. An acquaintance told me that sometimes he does what he called "jump shooting" where he drives around scouting until he finds ducks or geese then parks and tries to sneak up on them. To me it seems kind of unethical. Is this an acceptable way to hunt waterfowl? More importantly, is it even legal? Any thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:00 PM

It's really not legal but a lot of people do it. To use a vehicle to identify and then kill game is a no no. Now if you parked a car and stalked a creek its ok. Big gray area. What your buddy does is a pretty WEAK manner of waterfowlin.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is way more fun to shoot at waterfowl when they are coming in versus going away....plus it is way more satisfying. I agree with the “weak” description for the most part when it comes to jump shooting birds.

I assume your buddy has acquired permission on all the places he jump shoots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hunting Method

He has permission and some of it he does on public land. You guys have said what I was kind of thinking. I've always hunted legally and with the experience more important than killing something. I've been hunting deer, bear, turkey, and upland birds for years but never waterfowl.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM
The Man

Jump shooting is legal and an accepted way to hunt waterfowl. It is also tough. Those waterfowl sitting in a creek or pond are always alert for predators. Getting within range to make a clean kill is not as easy as it sounds.

BTW you need a way to recover any waterfowl you shoot.
Mike Barcaskey likes this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 PM

I've done it. Knew there was a bunch of ducks on a small pond. 2 of us set up on one end of the pond while another guy went to the other side and flushed them out our way. The key was that we were "below" the pond and the ducks couldn't see us as we snuck around. As other's said, not illegal, but maybe not ethical in some eyes. Heck, some guys think it's unethical to shoot them on the water(I don't).

What's much better is....when you identify an area where ducks are hanging out during the day, you get in there before daylight and wait for them to fly in. This is how I've killed the majority of ducks in my lifetime.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

What your friend is doing is not jump shooting, it is using a vehicle to locate and or hunt game which is not legal. Jump shooting is done on foot, usually along creeks either by walking in the creek or along side the creek, most shooting is when you round a end in the creek. Don't do what he is doing, one day he will get caught and it will be expensive.
quackmaster4 and DIYASUB like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'm really, really not trying to be a smart aleck here, this is something I've wondered about...

If you see game from your vehicle, and that game is where you intended to hunt, is that game completely off limits because you saw it while driving?

Not "driving back roads looking for game and then parking to pursue"......driving to where you're going, happening to see game.... game that, even if you just went about what your plans had been, you'd be pursuing....

Is that game essentially "off limits" for the day now because you saw it from the vehicle?

Again, it's something I've wondered about. I'm not trying to be a jerk.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I'm really, really not trying to be a smart aleck here, this is something I've wondered about...

If you see game from your vehicle, and that game is where you intended to hunt, is that game completely off limits because you saw it while driving?

Not "driving back roads looking for game and then parking to pursue"......driving to where you're going, happening to see game.... game that, even if you just went about what your plans had been, you'd be pursuing....

Is that game essentially "off limits" for the day now because you saw it from the vehicle?

Again, it's something I've wondered about. I'm not trying to be a jerk.
As long as you don't incriminate yourself pretty tough to prove, right? I'm not a roadhunter by any means, can't stand them, but when opportunity slaps you in the face you slap that son of a lady dog right back and put your stalking shoes on.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's all what you want to do, but as other said, the way you put it, "driving around locating waterfowl" , isn't legal. But I've jump shot for years a couple certain creeks. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's legal for sure, guys been doing it for years. You kind of get to know where the birds tend to hang out, sneak up, ( I let them fly), then shoot them. I enjoy decoying birds mostly, but I don't feel "unethical" if I hunt this way a few times a year. If I know the birds are around, I will tend to spook them out before first light, then set decoys and hope they come back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page