shooting coots, wanton waste? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

shooting coots, wanton waste?

I've seen more and more hunters this year shooting coots, apparently on the advice of some conservation groups, with the thought coots destroy a lot of nests....if you shoot them and leave them, is that wanton waste?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM

I would think it is. Buddy of mine hunts in NC for ducks every year and the locals and guide love to eat the coots and my buddy said they were delicious.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Look at online video of coots and nests. Your right should use what you kill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:23 AM
New Arrival

If I get into coots I shoot them. And I clean and eat them. They are fine table fare. Nothing wrong with some grilled coot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:06 PM
The Man

I've killed coots before to give the dog something to do. Brought them home, cleaned and plucked them like I would a nice big fat mallard. Put them in the roaster and seasoned them. Stunk up the whole house, and was the worst tasting "waterfowl" I've ever tried. Invited a buddy over, and his Lab wouldn't even eat it.

I'm sure that there are some recipes to make them taste better, but I simply just don't shoot them anymore.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 PM

I feel it's wanton waste right along hooded magansers. Why would you shoot them? There is only one bird that I would like to see a season on that isn't fit to be eaten are those Comorants. I would love to see a season on them. The one lake I fish usually has close to a thousand of them visit every fall and spring. I would shoot and waste right into the garbage can.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Legally, if you shoot coots and let them float away and do not retrieve them it is wanton waste, under both state and federal and if you get caught you will be prosecuted. I don't know of any conservation groups, the emphasis on conservation, that would encourage hunters to kill and waste native water fowl. I don't shoot coots, because I don't eat them, however in LA the swamp dwellers do eat and like them. No person could call themselves a conservationist and sportsman if they kill and waste a native species of water fowl.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 PM

I was taught as a kid that whatever you killed, had to be used. With the exception of a porcupine causing damage, a skunk in my bee yard, or a groundhog in the garden, everything I shoot gets eaten by someone. That's the reason I never got into waterfowl hunting, I've had geese prepared a bunch of ways and didn't enjoy eating any of them. Back in the early 70s my uncles went to the Carolinas and shot a bunch of sea ducks. I got stuck cleaning them all, and they were the most vile thing I've ever ate. The cat wouldn't even try a bite.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:59 PM
New Arrival

Coots make good gumbo. And feathers make great compost. Win-win.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:44 PM
dce
Sage

Last year a neighbor of mine killed a bear that he left in the back of his truck until after deer season ended.There is no doubt that it ended up over a bank so I called our WCO.He claimed that once he tagged it,it was his to do whatever he wanted and the only way he could bust him was if he threw it anywhere but his property.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page