Local Geese ?? Where did they Go!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spunky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Local Geese ?? Where did they Go!!

Where oh where have they all gone? Not seeing much of the local park birds.

Anyone else seeing geese? Local or Migrators ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

The resident geese do move around to where the food is, that is where you will find them. Resident geese do not necessarily stay in the same county, or even the same state when they are on the prowl for food. The label resident, simply means they do not migrate north to nest and south to get ahead of winter, not that they do not move around pretty good distances.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM

There still here just spread out everywhere. I see a lot of small ponds and secluded places that have geese on them, but getting to them is another story. As soon as the small bodies of water freeze up they will return. The one spot I hunt always has geese this time of the year but getting to them isn't worth the reward. With the weather pattern the birds don't have to move to feed. All they have to do is bend over and feed. I see quite a few fields that have been harvested and are barren of birds. But look at the small farm ponds and the birds are sticking around and walking to the shore to feed. Next week temps in the mid to upper 50's yea.

Yesterday in the NW zone it was like the first day of the season, plenty of hunters and few birds. I was the only one who shot yesterday on the end of the lake where I was hunting. Maybe 10 groups of hunters out. I was watching the birds troll up and down the lake, as soon as a flock came into view out came the calls and the birds would avoid the blinds and fly down the middle of the lake. A flock of blacks came down the middle of the .lake and it sounded like a calling contest at a DU meeting. I was set up way off the beaten pass, not on an island or point and the birds came in but you had to be on your toes to get a shot. No circling just buzzing the decoys and they were gone. The goose I got yesterday came in silent and was hovering over the decoys when I shot. Same with the flock of mallards. Buzzed the decoys made a swing and few over the blind on the way out of the bay and got one drake. Would have had more shots if the woodies weren't playing jet doing strafing runs. By the time I would get the gun up they were gone. Believe it or not all the birds showed up after 9:30. I had to reduce my decoy spread to match the size of the flocks that I've been seeing. 8 ducks decoys and 5 goose decoys. No calling.

With season closed for 2 weeks I'll see a huge influx of birds because of the deer hunters are moving birds to the larger lakes where they will roost and loaf.
jimmyt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 PM
The Man

"8 ducks decoys and 5 goose decoys. No calling."
This my friends is solid advice, coming from a veteran waterfowler who was the only one outta 10 groups that fired his gun. Not to mention he killed a duck and a goose.
Well Done Spunky!
Only thing I'd do different is use 7 duck decoys.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 PM

I try to match the size of the flocks that I see, through out the season. There are some flocks with maybe 25 birds (geese) in the but I haven't seen them decoys in a month of Sunday's but those singles and doubles are a lot easier to decoy. As for the ducks if I see more than a couple mallards a day I would be surprised. The locals are very leary of large spreads. Tomorrow I'll add 3 black ducks and 2 woodies and leave the geese at home.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 PM

I assume the first post was referring to Pymy geese? Maybe they are feeding at night.....saw several hundred this morning coming into the refuge part of the lake around 6:30 or so....doubt that many were jumped by deer hunters....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 PM

Where I was this morning geese came pouring in from different directions. No ducks though. Lake was like a sheet of glass. Tomorrow with the golf courses chasing the birds off there will be more.

Did see 2 bucks this morning, one on the way to the lake and one when I left at 11 one crossed the road right in front of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page