River hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

River hunting

Howdy,

I recently moved near Danville/Bloomsburg. At my old house, I had plenty of places to duck/goose hunt that didn't need a boat. In the new area it seems that the majority of the waterfowl are located on or near the river. My question is, is there any tips/techniques that work better on the river than others. I don't have a boat and do most of my hunting from the bank at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

It doesn't make a whole lot off sense to hunt waterfowl on the Susq river without a way to retrieve them if you knock them down, then worse, you have no way to catch up with cripples and finish them off if they can swim and if they can't swim the current takes them. You can't use a fishing rod like you can in a pond where the bird isn't going to be carried away be current. I would recommend you drive around and find farm ponds and get permission to hunt, Danville has plenty of countryside to look in. I hunted the river for 25 years and I saw people try to hunt it without a boat and it never was a pretty picture. You owe it to the game to make sure you can retrieve it and you would be flirting with wanton waste if you were observed shooting ducks only to have them float away. The law says you must make a "reasonable" effort to retrieve the birds you drop, that is both state and federal and it you do not have a way to retrieve the birds, you are not making a reasonable effort.
jimmyt and Marcus99 like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 11-01-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Part of the Community

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMeyer View Post
Howdy,

My question is, is there any tips/techniques that work better on the river than others. I don't have a boat and do most of my hunting from the bank at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat! NO BOAT

keepin' it reel...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page